Legalities of installing illegal window tint

I just found this site today after a year and a half of trying to google tint info and it's exactly what I've been looking for. ????????There's not a lot of people that tint Windows in my area so I've had to learn most things through trial and error instead of simply asking other tinters.

Does anyone know if it is unlawful to tint a vehicle darker than the states allowed VLT%? Is it possible to get sued if you tint a vehicle that got in an accident after?

Most of my customers prefer to match their front windows with the factory tint but it's not legal here in Alabama. I just want to make sure I am not breaking any laws or risking a lawsuit someday.

Welcome to the site. This is a topic that has been discussed several times up here, so it's just like opening up a can of worms every time. Type it into the search button and you'll find thread after thread on it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link that helps a lot. From all the research it seems like there is no way for the tint shop to be held liable since it is technically not illegal until it hits the streets. Obviously I don't do front windshields darker than 50% and usually won't do driver/pass Windows darker than 20% for safety reasons but i don't see why it should be the shops responsibility to make sure their customers are following the law. I always make sure the customer is aware the tint will be illegal before the install but it should ultimately be the customers decision whether or not to follow the law.

Thanks for the link that helps a lot. From all the research it seems like there is no way for the tint shop to be held liable since it is technically not illegal until it hits the streets. Obviously I don't do front windshields darker than 50% and usually won't do driver/pass Windows darker than 20% for safety reasons but i don't see why it should be the shops responsibility to make sure their customers are following the law. I always make sure the customer is aware the tint will be illegal before the install but it should ultimately be the customers decision whether or not to follow the law.

Read your states laws. Thats the first place you should be looking. It doesn't matter what you see or don't see about why it shouldn't be the shops responsibility. Where I live the law says its unlawful to install tint darker than the legal limit. its also unlawful to sell a car with tint darker than the legal limit. 

if your states laws read similar your opinion is inconsequential.

Im not telling you what not to but if you do install tint darker than legal you likely can be fined. You can also be sued if an accident victim wants to seek damages weather or not your found liable at the end of a trial isn't issue it are you willing to spend thousands to hundreds of thousands defending yourself?

Bottom line read your laws. (not what others say) go to you states site and search it.

I was just enjoying a laugh from Reflections post in the FooBar, came here to read the OP and it took me back to RR's Foobar post #4687 in pic of the week.

Legalities of installing illegal window tint

Is that like saying, The legalities of illegal window tint always involves window tint?

Welcome to the forum and thanks for allowing me to  :poke.

Edited by smartie2shoes

S2S: Why would it not involve window tint? Your question doesn't really make sense to me.

Thanks Bal4. I just had to dig deeper through the Internet and found that it is a misdemeanor to install illegal film on a vehicle and is punishable by $100 fine for first offense, $200 for second offense, and $500 for third offense.

This is probably why law enforcement does not go after the installers. Which would make them more money? Charging the installer for $100 or charging each person $250 for driving it on the road? Makes more sense for police to keep going after the people who keep requesting illegal tint if you look at it financially.

Conclusion: Clearly this is a heated topic but, in the state of Alabama, it basically comes down to whether you are willing to risk a $100 fine over turning a lot of customers over to the competition. Since I just opened this shop it's kind of a no-brainer for me. Obviously there is the risk of somebody trying to sue the company if the vehicle were to get in an accident but from all the research I've done it seems none of the shops I've found have actually been sued in the courts, only tried. Be sure to check your specific state laws before making this decision because they usually vary from state to state.

Thanks everyone for your help. It's good to get other tinters input

Each one of us feel different about how dark we will tint :twocents  My laws say 50% on all windows but I will put darker after explaining three times minimum to the customer it can get them a ticket...... will I put five percent on the front doors, absolutely probably not. 

Our differences are what make America great.

Welcome to the forum :beer  Don't be a stranger and post with us about the trade.

All of us have the right and best way to tint figured out....the way we do it!!!!

cheers