Rear windshield tinted darker than the rest of the windows?

Guys, like JH said there is a thread for this back and forth about legal/illegal tinting.  The consumer asked a question, he now has his answer, and has been made well aware that it is illegal to have those specific VLT's in his state...case closed.  I am surprised we get any consumers posting on here because of the way they get attacked if what they want doesn't fit your opinion on what the industry standard should be.  I understand the frustration some feel about the subject, but how about direct it more toward the manufacturers that make the film.  Just FYI no window film is allowed on his front doors...so in the eyes of NJ you guys all have installed illegal film.   :twocents

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel I can get the best opinion here, and legal vs illegal arguments aside, i just want to make a wise investment and for my car to look good in the end.

I have one more question.  If i decided to go lighter, with the Solar Gard Supreme 28 (rather than 15) on all side windows, and left the rear window at 5%, would that also look mismatched?  My dilemma is that I dont necessarily want it to be too dark, which 15% probably is, but since I need to leave the 5% on my rear windshield I want it to be consistent as possible.  20-30% is ideal for me, but Im not sure if that would be strange looking with the 5% rear windshield.

BTW, my car is white and the interior is black w/ some red.  Ive heard that could make a difference in the perceived darkness 

Once again you can do that first and see how it looks. Me personally I like the 30% range just because it's what I'm used to. Also if a shop can't give you some more info on that back glass and says they won't do it you should probably shop around a bit.

Once again you can do that first and see how it looks. Me personally I like the 30% range just because it's what I'm used to. Also if a shop can't give you some more info on that back glass and says they won't do it you should probably shop around a bit.

True, I guess I gotta make the decision if I wanna try the 15% or 20 range, cause once its on the front two windows its not comin off lol.

He said he would definitely do it, he was just warning me that the defroster or antenna could get damaged.  I just got this car and am really hesitant to do anything that could damage things like that.  Maybe I should research a little more on it, though.

I've told every single customer that I've had to do that to its a possibility. I've yet to see it happen. That's not to say it can't though. Also if you were used to having clear windows before the lighter would probably be a better option.

I've told every single customer that I've had to do that to its a possibility. I've yet to see it happen. That's not to say it can't though. Also if you were used to having clear windows before the lighter would probably be a better option.

My appointments not until Friday, but Im thinking im gonna go with Solar Gard Supreme 28 (which is actually 23% according to their website) all around, leaving the 5% on the rear windshield.  Its really between that and SolarGard 15, but im definitely gonna stay consistent on the side windows and leave the rear at 5%

Was the car already tinted when you bought it?? If not and you are using the same shop to finish the car, you should be good.

BUT--if you don't know what is on there originally, the tint might not match well if what is on there is 2 years old.

That back CAN be redone without destroying anything if done by someone that knows what they are doing.

Have the whole car redone in the same film all the way around. My :twocents

Was the car already tinted when you bought it?? If not and you are using the same shop to finish the car, you should be good.

BUT--if you don't know what is on there originally, the tint might not match well if what is on there is 2 years old.

That back CAN be redone without destroying anything if done by someone that knows what they are doing.

Have the whole car redone is the same film all the way around. My :twocents

Hm, well the rear three windows were already tinted when I got the car. I know for a fact theyre 5%(previous owner told me) but not sure the brand. When I brought it to the tint shop to get some options, the guy said they look like solar gard, and that they'd match best with that (because they have a greenish shade to them?)

But ideally id like to have the whole thing redone. This is the best shop around that I know of, but he didn't make me feel confident that nothing would get damaged.

If nothing else. Have them redo everything but the rear so that you don't notice a difference. Inside out will be more of a giveaway.

Having a white car, YES, the contrast is a little different that say with a gray car. Even the lighter shades tend to appear darker due to this contrast.

Good luck. :beer

Archived