Second Layer Coming off in Tiny Peices

I had someone come by to get a quote I Did test and the second layer of film is dry and brittle. It isn't possible to find an edge to start pulling. It just fractures. What going to be the best way to get it off? Ive dealt with film that delaminates and the second layer is still comes of in in either one piece or at least large manageable pieces. This is mot the case here. There isn't anything to grab.

Any advice or should I pass and tell the customer that his glass would be ruined?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We prefer to bag on a sunny day, but steam if the day is not ideal for it.  We have 3 price levels...$50 if it is newer tint or in perfect condition, $100 if it is purpling or fading, and $150 if it is bubbling or will require a scrape.  The $150 tends to scare away the crappy cars which is a win.   :thumb

Heat gun and patience for back windows. Grab the film and let your arm hang. Don't pull on it, just let the weight of your arm do the work. When it gets hot enough it will start to release. If you pull too hard then the film will tear and you'll have a horror show. Especially with old brittle 2-ply films.

I say $60 an hour, and let them know what my time estimate is based on experience. Over the phone I explain I need to see the car as some film will come off in 5 minutes, no glue, while others can take a few hours.

Like stated above, a ton of heat. I use a torch for this as it is just way faster than a heat gun. I will bag it then heat the window and just pull slowly. Another thing I learned here on Tintdude (can't remember who). If it is coming off in layers, pull the first layer then tint over it real quick, let that film cure for a while then bag it and it will come off all in one piece. I have done it 3 or 4 times now and it worked perfect.

Heat gun and patience for back windows. Grab the film and let your arm hang. Don't pull on it, just let the weight of your arm do the work. When it gets hot enough it will start to release. If you pull too hard then the film will tear and you'll have a horror show. Especially with old brittle 2-ply films.

I say $60 an hour, and let them know what my time estimate is based on experience. Over the phone I explain I need to see the car as some film will come off in 5 minutes, no glue, while others can take a few hours.

I think charging per hour would be good, since it can take a long time if the film is new or deteriorating. I removed film off a 2001 corolla last week that took about 30 minutes, which sometimed can take almost 2 hours on occassion.

The quick tint then sweat it off is the only way I would deal with this.

I have been blown away with the results. 5 minute tint then about an hour bagged in good sunlight.

How long do you let the tint cure before bagging it?

Archived