Finally getting a plotter for tint, need advice

McCoyH

I couldn't find any good threads answering all my questions so figured I'd post one.

We're finally going to need to get a tint plotter this year but don't know where to start.

Are there any "popular" tint plotters?

What kind of specs / equipment do I need to look for?

Don't limit yourself to "tint" . Cut graphics can be very lucrative.

Signs101 is a great resource.

Our shop has Summa and Allen Plotters and HP printers.

Get something that will accommodate at minimum 60" film .

I'm not the guy that plays with them so I could not say this or that is "better"

I would have to agree with WTFhat. I have seen a few instances where my flat glass guy could not have done some jobs properly if he hadn't had a 60" plotter. If you can get one, I would go for 60" just to make sure you are not limited. :twocents

I would have to agree with WTFhat. I have seen a few instances where my flat glass guy could not have done some jobs properly if he hadn't had a 60" plotter. If you can get one, I would go for 60" just to make sure you are not limited. :twocents

We got a 72in plotter just so we could handle any job that may come to us.

I'm not the guy that plays with them so I could not say this or that is "better"

Thanks for the reply. We do have a small vinyl plotter now and do a little bit of graphics with it. You don't think we'd be ok starting with a 40" tint plotter? We almost NEVER do flatglass anymore, and with a 40 inch you can fit the roll up windows side by side

Edited by McCoyH

We've used US Cutter before for our vinyl, and I know the US Cutter brand won't work for tint, but it looks like they carry Roland And Graphtek, does anyone have any experience with either of these two:

http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-8600-Series-Vinyl-Cutter

http://www.uscutter.com/Roland-Vinyl-Cutters-Roland-GX-PRO-CAMM-1

Thanks SO much for your guys opinions, it helps a lot!

Computer Cut has a nice DGI plotter that is designed to work with Tint, Vinyl, & PPF. The one we have is a 60" and works great with just about any film we have put in it. I am not familiar with any others. Just giving you feedback on what I have worked with. :thumb

Computer Cut has a nice DGI plotter that is designed to work with Tint, Vinyl, & PPF. The one we have is a 60" and works great with just about any film we have put in it. I am not familiar with any others. Just giving you feedback on what I have worked with. :thumb

Thank you I'll check it out :)

About to pull the trigger, but I'm curious, how much time does a plotter really save you? It takes one person here an average of 20 - 30 minutes to cut out all roll-ups, 1/4s and back windshield. How long does it take you guys with a plotter (on a vehicle obviously)

And do you usually need to adjust the blade when cutting different brands of tint if the thickness is different between the two brands?

"And do you usually need to adjust the blade when cutting different brands of tint if the thickness is different between the two brands?"

Looks like you need to read up on plotters some more :lol

Do you cut 3/4's the way through film when you hand cut or all the way through?