Finally getting a plotter for tint, need advice

McCoyH

"And do you usually need to adjust the blade when cutting different brands of tint if the thickness is different between the two brands?"

Looks like you need to read up on plotters some more :lol

Do you cut 3/4's the way through film when you hand cut or all the way through?

We have a vinyl plotter, but from what I understand to plotter cut tint the liner stays intact and then you weed the excess film, and trim the liner right? I don't see how it would work to cut all the way through...

I do both plotter cut, and hand cut.

Plotter is great for increasing speed. While most are on the money for fit. Some patterns will need adjustment to fit like a skilled hand cut pattern. I would say you could save 20 to 30 minutes per full car easily.

So using a plotter a 4dr car takes about 5 minutes to cut and weed roughly? Thanks for the reply C2C long time to see

I don't use a plotter for auto for multiple reasons.

Why pay for patterns or pay for something I already know( it is like paying twice )?? :hmmm That just doesn't compute with me.

Unless you are doing the same shade of film all the time and aren't constantly switching type of vehicle, I don't see where it is really that much faster. Dealership type setup (opposite of the previous sentence), well that's different and I could see it being helpful if already programmed with the changes to your liking.

I am also a little, small time one man shop.... If I had someone running the plotter, that might be different also.

Not trying to muck up your thread McCoyH :sorry Just giving my :twocents I hope the plotter thing works out for you. Good luck :beer

Edited by Bham

I don't use a plotter for auto for multiple reasons.

Why pay for patterns or pay for something I already know( it is like paying twice )?? :hmmm That just doesn't compute with me.

Unless you are doing the same shade of film all the time and aren't constantly switching type of vehicle, I don't see where it is really that much faster. Dealership type setup (opposite of the previous sentence), well that's different and I could see it being helpful if already programmed with the changes to your liking.

I am also a little, small time one man shop.... If I had someone running the plotter, that might be different also.

Not trying to muck up your thread McCoyH :sorry Just giving my :twocents I hope the plotter thing works out for you. Good luck :beer

Yeah no problem at all that's why I asked thank you very much for your info. We're a little bigger than you it sounds like... 2 full time tinters booked out about 4 weeks 8 cars a day right now so I'm figuring if we can save 15 or 20 mins per car by using a plotter it would be beneficial. Thanks again!!

Plotter is great for increasing speed. While most are on the money for fit. Some patterns will need adjustment to fit like a skilled hand cut pattern. I would say you could save 20 to 30 minutes per full car easily.

So using a plotter a 4dr car takes about 5 minutes to cut and weed roughly? Thanks for the reply C2C long time to see

I use the time it cutting to pull gaskets or panels. Double win for me, as long as the door patterns are good. Some need to be iver sized, and trim top edge on the window during installation.

I own a small 1 man shop doing both tint and PPF, therefor I have a plotter and film designs. Originally I required the plotter for PPF but I find it saves me time when doing tint as well. I service 4 dealerships and turn around time is key. For my set up now it works. When I was doing this out of my garage at home I would hand cut and order PPF kits to install.

I use the time it cutting to pull gaskets or panels. Double win for me, as long as the door patterns are good. Some need to be iver sized, and trim top edge on the window during installation.

So the plotter doesn't cut it ready to install? Seems like a waste if you have to trim half of the patterns it cuts, may as well just hand cut if that's the case... hmmm

If you're used to hand cutting and are a stickler for that top edge you probably will not be happy with it. I didn't read the whole post but unless you're doing 4+ cars a day and are planning on getting into decals or something of that nature you don't need it.

If you're used to hand cutting and are a stickler for that top edge you probably will not be happy with it. I didn't read the whole post but unless you're doing 4+ cars a day and are planning on getting into decals or something of that nature you don't need it.

Yeah, we do 8 to 10 cars a day hand cutting now and already do decals with the small 24" plotter we have, just trying to figure out if its worth the money and if it will actually save time