Free XPEL training.... If you are a new car dealership

I trust you don't mean me Jeffery, as I see nothing in my comments other than general advice, perhaps you would like to post these "facts" and the stories to which you refer?

I am sure everyone would be enlightened by such clarity?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately it sounds as most of you guys are promoting "xpel" brand and not "your" brand. There is a reason why people ask for xpel by name, they do heavy marketing and promote their brand. It seems as their marketing is working.

ppf has been a good market for me ...for many years. I love the classes that manufacturers offer and BOOM! your a pro! :quote  Funny

NEVER EVER share who you do work for..try not to anyway. Reps are sneaky and have no idea how to install. Every rep I have ever met in my 25 years has been nice but they have no idea. They will go behind your back and try to steal your business...all about sales..that's it. They don't care about you and all the work you have done to create such an account.

I'm sorry that's the case Tintzeus, but I can only speak for myself. I'll get my hands dirty with anyone out there and I'm in sales. I'm also the corporate trainer here for PremiumShield so I guess you could say that's more on the rare side. I have to wear many hats. I'm not trying to take it personal by any means, just prefer that you are cautious with making a general assumptions on all sales guys in this industry when we are small compared to others in the aftermarket business. 

You should be able to lean on your sales rep and ask questions as a reps responsibility is to look out for your best interest. Otherwise your company won't be successful and therefore you will eventually feel no loyalty to them or the company. Your rep should know as much as they can about competitive films, software, how to install, how to market the product, what's happening in their market for car sales, how the dealerships work, and also be willing to get dirty with you by going into dealers to help you close a sale, doing some car events/car shows, etc... But hey, that's my opinion on what is expected from a sales rep.

Your rep should know as much as they can about competitive films, software, how to install, how to market the product, what's happening in their market for car sales, how the dealerships work, and also be willing to get dirty with you by going into dealers to help you close a sale, doing some car events/car shows, etc... But hey, that's my opinion on what is expected from a sales rep.

I guess not all sales reps feel the same.  But its good logic.

You should be able to lean on your sales rep and ask questions as a reps responsibility is to look out for your best interest. Otherwise your company won't be successful and therefore you will eventually feel no loyalty to them or the company. Your rep should know as much as they can about competitive films, software, how to install, how to market the product, what's happening in their market for car sales, how the dealerships work, and also be willing to get dirty with you by going into dealers to help you close a sale, doing some car events/car shows, etc... But hey, that's my opinion on what is expected from a sales rep.

:yeah Exactly.  

I just got off of the phone with two of our reps this morning.  One was helping a customer of ours in Shreveport land dealerships and the other is working a show with a group of customers in Montana.  Loyalty and a quality customer experience will get you a lot of help from the right film companies!

No big deal..I just feel this guys pain. My family owned 12 dealers and sold them. Now my family owns another 8 dealers  3 bodyshops and 2 highline brokers. I think I may know something of the automotive and automotive aftermarket industry.just sayin...you don't tell everything you know to any rep

Come on now Jeff. You know that's horse shit. You took one of my Porsche dealers in house and are in the process of trying to take the other one also. You open a store right next to speed and target his main dealer. If that's not writing on the wall I don't know what is. I was sitting right next to David when you texted him "$10,000 order from Northtown!". I figured that our real quick. 

Xpel is offering free plotters and software to dealers that sign up for inhouse programs. And this isn't for volume dealers either. This one only did 30 with me for the entire year. AND, you're training them for full fronts. So there goes your defense of using local installers for more difficult installs.

If all the individual installers don't band together and stand up for ourselves we're going to be picked apart one by one. 

I have watched this forum for a while and after seeing this I have to mention a few things that I learned about this post.

While I think XPEL is a great company, they are not perfect by any means.

My biggest gripe is the film isn't free!! But on a serious note, I think XPEL could do more to crack down on installers that claim they install XPEL, both via telling customers and indicating so on their website, when they don't and never have purchased film or anything else from XPEL. They usually price very low and hurt the market.  I can attest to this for sure in my market and it really bothers me. I was contacted by a new customer that had used a local shop claiming to install XPEL and found out they do not, nor do they even purchase Xpel film. She is not pleased that she asked for Xpel, was told Xpel was being installed and it was a completely different brand of film.

I have been installing PPF for 13 years and began using xpel film about 2.5 years ago. I used 3M for years, took xpel training in 2003. I also do pdr and detailing. I tried xpel film when they first started making film, and boy was it not good!

I called xpel and talked to David about a local customer with a saab that a referred to another local installer. The customer called me because wasn't given an invoice or warranty card and the customer had issues. David asked me to just take care of the customer and he will take care of me, which he did. I called him a little after that and he answered the phone calling me by name.  Where as my previous distribution company, I had been dealing with for years was always asked.. who is this, what company are you with, etc.  I appreciated the customer service and friendship from David. He has helped me by advising me with many things including dealers, pricing and sales ideas. 

It is funny to see all of the bashing going on about XPEL without knowing some of the story as I do. So I had to chime in here because I know who Bababooey is, and the truth to the stories he's is telling. I will not refer to him by his real name, but lets just call him "B".

This past November I was at the SEMA show and hung out at the xpel booth. The one day I was there David Campbell was approached by a dealer group from Buffalo, the West Herr group, and they were not happy with the fact that B had agreed to install PPF at 2 of their stores in Rochester, a BMW and Mercedes dealer, and then last minute didn't do it for some reason. David apologized to them and defended B. They said it would be best he didn't come in their stores again. They said that it looked bad on xpel even though they knew, he was using another brand at that time. Empty bank account.....

So while at the xpel booth that day after that scenario I asked who this installer was, and is he using xpel now. At the time no he wasn't. Apparently in late 2014 B installed a kit on an acura nsx and the customer wasn't happy. B was going to correct it, but last minute said he wasn't going to and xpel had to pay another installer to redo sub standard work. B had agreed to pay for the redo and when the invoice was sent to him he refused to pay it. I was told that after quite a few calls, emails and texts, B would never respond, head in the sand?? He stiffed xpel on paying for redoing his work. A few months after that he stopped using Xpel film and DAP software. Rather than pay for your mistakes you cut ties and bad mouth the company that pays someone to redo his work.  I wonder why he wouldn't mention this in his post.

Then in December of last year B called xpel and wanted to come back, and they let him on.  Why I will never know but maybe they are being nice. Oh and another thing B left out.  He told David he was going to work for the Porsche dealer in Rochester, and talked to David about it for a few weeks as I understand it, then bailed on them also. "I'm going to turn down the job offer from Porsche. I have too much business established to work for someone."  hmmm there is more...

The other dealership that he said is his, really? The other one is owned by a big group which also offered him a management position 3 different times, with good income, and each time he bailed on them.. Hmmm pattern here I would say.... Why didn't B say anything about this while he was whining?  Oh and as I understand it this group has been installing in house for 8 years, so how is that stealing? Because he did a few full fronts for them? 

Oh and another company wanted him to work for them and then B said no! He didn't want to move,..

I have resolved a few bad installs by other installers, some locally and some from far away, Atlanta being the one that really sticks out to me because I don't know why xpel puts up with people like these guys, and others who do crummy work.  Then think they are not on the hook for taking someones money and poorly representing a good company with great people. This guy in Atlanta has Xpel signs in the dealership and gave a dealer an invoice showing xpel was installed, but he installed another brand. 

B you should share everything before you point a finger. You are your own worst enemy and I hope they have cut you off, or are about to. If you going to stiff them for work you did poorly or bash them after they let you come back, then they should tell you to pound sand. Did you mention an empty bank account?

I know there are a few local dealers in my area that have in house programs and xpel would be crazy to not pursue those dealers. 

One more thing, I hear you will be partnering with someone there, good luck to him.

After many years of getting to know the General Managers at my areas highest volume new car dealers by way of Tinting their personal cars. They have always told me the horror stories of mobile service installers... the Clear Bra stories were not pretty they were ugly. FYI these stories were long before XPEL was selling XPEL PPF. BTW my services are available to New Car dealers but they have to transport the cars to my facility. I personally do not care who is in these dealerships selling or installing because it will translate into more redos for all the serious installers.. I know the supply and demand of the current and future PPF market can not be under estimated.. If Xpel does not get in their doors someone else will or has already. Take some time to ponder.

I personally do not care who is in these dealerships selling or installing because it will translate into more redos for all the serious installers.. I know the supply and demand of the current and future PPF market can not be under estimated.. If Xpel does not get in their doors someone else will or has already. Take some time to ponder

Here is where I don't agree with you Lorenzo. All too much, more often than not, that doesn't happen. Bad experiences at the dealership lead to dealers dropping the program all together. It's too hard and too complicated of a product to have to worry about their CSI surveys to risk not getting their top pay. There are other products like low jack, or even paint sealants that are much cheaper, have larger margins, and are easier to sell. Thinking bigger picture rather than just someone screwing something up and having them look for an alternative is something that should be running through most of our minds if we want to see our industry grow.     

Archived