PPF over hydro-dipped Bumpers

Interesting idea. Haven't done a whole lot of hydro dipping BUT,,,, I would not recommend this.

The little we have played with hydro dipping, we have come to find out it is fragile. You can scratch it off with you finger nail after install, especially when installing on plastic or something maluable. It is a coating and does not create a NEW surface, it just covers the surface.

I would think the adhesive on PPF could -possibly- distort the hydro dipped pattern :dunno

I am just guessing. Don't know for sure.

If you find differently or figure out that it does work okay,,please let us know. :thumb

Interesting idea. Haven't done a whole lot of hydro dipping BUT,,,, I would not recommend this.

The little we have played with hydro dipping, we have come to find out it is fragile. You can scratch it off with you finger nail after install, especially when installing on plastic or something maluable. It is a coating and does not create a NEW surface, it just covers the surface.

I would think the adhesive on PPF could -possibly- distort the hydro dipped pattern :dunno

I am just guessing. Don't know for sure.

If you find differently or figure out that it does work okay,,please let us know. :thumb

It sounds like you're thinking of Plasti Dipping

I'd suggest not. The hydrographic bond with the substrate is tenuous which is why it is then clear painted to give it integrity. It's like airbrush paint on powdercoat. Even when cleared if you have to lift the film for any reason you run a very high risk of pulling the airbrush/hydrographic off the substrate as it's the weak link in the chain.

Archived