Shop owner advice please

Ive had my own shop for 20 years.  Worked by myself for the most part, but have had some prep help along the way (kids).  The other "good" tinter in town quit his job at the dealership (been doing it longer than me) and I called him today to see if we could come up with a money number we could both live with.  My thoughts are to split the profits of the shop with him, he's too good to try to pay hourly.  What is a fair split?  How do you other shop owners do this.  Just for reference, I tinted 8 complete vehicles (cars and trucks) today.

8 vehicles  :blink you using a plotter or what? I still don;t know how some of you guys tint vehicles in 1 hour without sacrificing quality. There is no way those jobs are near as good as someone who spent 2-3 hours, on the vehicle. taping felt, cleaning the window PROPERLY, tinting the window without leaving huge gaps everywhere, and cleaning all the windows and door panels after...

Hey fireman been awhile since I have been to Oklahoma but prolly this summer when it's waaaay to hot in Tulsa :beer

It's a slippery slope or very well could end up slippery. If you are still owner and responsible for everything I would offer thirty percent of the price of each unit. Doing that kind of work you should be able to increase numbers but do math on your profits and see what you would end up with....plus headaches.

Not always bad because you end up with a bigger business and once you can put two tinters out there busy it will pay off but again headaches.

PPL must really be growing. Have had mine forever!

Cheers

8 vehicles  :blink you using a plotter or what? I still don;t know how some of you guys tint vehicles in 1 hour without sacrificing quality. There is no way those jobs are near as good as someone who spent 2-3 hours, on the vehicle. taping felt, cleaning the window PROPERLY, tinting the window without leaving huge gaps everywhere, and cleaning all the windows and door panels after...

Four were new trucks.  Had two sets of door glasses (one with a strip).  3 cars were identical Cruzes that I tripled cut the doors off one car.  I have a helper pulling panels and prepping.  I grabbed a burger for lunch and got back after it.  Started at 8 and turned the lights off at 430.  I don't "sacrifice" quality.  If it don't look right when I pull it outside. it gets redone.  You don't stay in business 20 years in a small town by doing bad work.

Four were new trucks.  Had two sets of door glasses (one with a strip).  3 cars were identical Cruzes that I tripled cut the doors off one car.  I have a helper pulling panels and prepping.  I grabbed a burger for lunch and got back after it.  Started at 8 and turned the lights off at 430.  I don't "sacrifice" quality.  If it don't look right when I pull it outside. it gets redone.  You don't stay in business 20 years in a small town by doing bad work.

That makes more sense then ! if you got someone helping you do all the prep work then that's a different story. I would say 8 full 4 door cars in a day by your self would be insane. sure it's do able but it would look like garbage and I wouldn't wipe down any of the streaks or anything after I was done tinting haha. the only time I will do a hack job is when the customer is a cheap ass and doesn't pay me what I want so I give them for whatever they pay for. my rate is 100.00/hr plus material costs so if they pay for 1 hour they get a 1 hour tint job lol

If you turn out that much work, Why do you want someone else involved? If it's to lessen your own work load then I'd understand but if it's just to increase volume I think that since you're making bank with that kind of volume why bring in someone else to share profits with?

Raise your prices, do less work and make the same/more money.

Also if you don't already... try upselling ceramic film for maximum profits.

I recently have learned there is no reason to explain output capacity to anyone. It came by way of spending time in a mom/pop operation with three installers two tag off on glass removal, film removal and installation of either product. One of the days there, I counted in excess of 20 cars in and out by day's end, all of great film install quality. They have developed a system that all abide by to get the volume they had that day. It's not an everyday occurrence but, I was fascinating to see how they operate all as an efficient machine. A single person can up their output in the same way to achieve your reported results.

Back to topic... I'm with those who side with paying a percent of the invoice for this guy, at least to start out. If all work out personality-wise, you can renegotiate his role. Entering into partnership, whatever the slit percentage, is like marrying someone. Always maintain control of 'your' business.

Archived