Recommended film for house

Greetings TintDude, been many years since I last posted here as I got out of the window tinting profession and have primarily focused on vinyl graphics.

Anyhow, I moved from MI to CO and now have a South facing house.  I'm looking for a residential film recommendation for my North facing 3 upstairs and 4 downstairs windows and 1 swinging glass door for privacy purposes.  I want to be able to see out but not let my rear neighbor see inside as our houses are pretty close to each other.  We also don't want the film to block any of the incoming sunlight.  The North side of the house never gets any direct sun exposure so I do not think the glass/film will ever absorb much heat as the sun is always in the front of the house.

What film brand/model would you recommend ?

If I did want to put it on the front of the house that does get direct sun exposure would I be able to use the same film or would I need a different film?

If there is any more information you need from me, just let me know.

Thanks !!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to be able to see out but not let my rear neighbor see in. 

We also don't want the film to block any of the incoming sunlight. 

Those two will never happen together. Ever.

ok.. Like I said before, I don't know anything about residential film. Hence why I am here on these forums asking you guys, the professionals.  The main thing I want is for my rear neighbors to not see inside my home during the day or during the night when its dark out and light inside.  What film do I use ?

Hi Kemble. If it is possible to point some sort of flood light at these windows, you can use a mirrored or semi-reflective dark film to accomplish the not seeing in part. You can't stop blocking incoming light,,,, but,,, if you create a brighter light on the outside of the window, causing a light reflection off the mirrored surface, your neighbors won't be able to see in,,

AS LONG AS THE LIGHT IS BRIGHTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW THAN ON THE INSIDE,(little psychics lesson there)

I hope that makes sense. Good luck. :beer

I want to be able to see out but not let my rear neighbor see in. 

We also don't want the film to block any of the incoming sunlight.

Those two will never happen together. Ever.

ok.. Like I said before, I don't know anything about residential film. Hence why I am here on these forums asking you guys, the professionals.  The main thing I want is for my rear neighbors to not see inside my home during the day or during the night when its dark out and light inside.  What film do I use ?

Make this real simple. You can get daytime privacy. At night with all the lights on and it dark outside people can still see in regardless of what film. However a 15% film will only allow 15% of the house light to show outside. So it will be darker at night, but not true privacy. If you want total privacy at night use blinds.

Where are you getting this film? What brand? Are you doing this yourself or gonna hire a professional?

What bham said during the day simply a dual reflective film. At night you'll need some sort of light outside the windows. Think of the one way mirror dark on one side light on the other. Reverse that and you get the exact opposite. Now add a film that will still let all light pass through the same it's simply just not possible.

Hi Kemble. If it is possible to point some sort of flood light at these windows, you can use a mirrored or semi-reflective dark film to accomplish the not seeing in part. You can't stop blocking incoming light,,,, but,,, if you create a brighter light on the outside of the window, causing a light reflection off the mirrored surface, your neighbors won't be able to see in,,

AS LONG AS THE LIGHT IS BRIGHTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW THAN ON THE INSIDE,(little psychics lesson there)

I hope that makes sense. Good luck. :beer

Yes flood lights on glass might work. Wonder if he has blinds

Archived