Recommended film for house

Hi Kemble. If it is possible to point some sort of flood light at these windows, you can use a mirrored or semi-reflective dark film to accomplish the not seeing in part. You can't stop blocking incoming light,,,, but,,, if you create a brighter light on the outside of the window, causing a light reflection off the mirrored surface, your neighbors won't be able to see in,,

AS LONG AS THE LIGHT IS BRIGHTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW THAN ON THE INSIDE,(little psychics lesson there)

I hope that makes sense. Good luck. :beer

Yes flood lights on glass might work. Wonder if he has blinds

Even though I am in the window tint business, and should be selling film instead of blinds or shades..... As far as residential goes..

It has always surprised me that more people don't go with a good high heat rejection film-IN A LIGHT SHADE. And then spend some money on some really good blinds. Blinds are not permanent and can be adjusted to your liking, per amount of light at that time of day. Just seems way more logical to me. :twocents

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to be able to see out but not let my rear neighbor see in. 

We also don't want the film to block any of the incoming sunlight. 

Those two will never happen together. Ever.

ok.. Like I said before, I don't know anything about residential film. Hence why I am here on these forums asking you guys, the professionals.  The main thing I want is for my rear neighbors to not see inside my home during the day or during the night when its dark out and light inside.  What film do I use ?

Make this real simple. You can get daytime privacy. At night with all the lights on and it dark outside people can still see in regardless of what film. However a 15% film will only allow 15% of the house light to show outside. So it will be darker at night, but not true privacy. If you want total privacy at night use blinds.

Where are you getting this film? What brand? Are you doing this yourself or gonna hire a professional?

I was planning on doing this myself.  As of right now I do not know where to get the film. I wanted to identify the film I was going to use first, then probably call my old rep at Llumar and see if my account was still open.  I have not touched automotive window film in probably 7 years (I got tired of sweating my butt off and cutting my knuckles form rear speaker grills inside cars) but I do vinyl graphic installations daily.

Yes we some nice wooden blinds, but those do not prevent my rear neighbor from seeing inside the house during the day when we have them open letting in the daylight. 

I retract my statement about night time, cause yes, the blinds will be closed at night so I won't need to worry about the neighbor seeing inside.  So I guess a good mirror type film for during the day that would prevent my neighbor from seeing inside when my blinds are open yet let as much sunlight inside the home as possible.

:yeah and Bham is one of the top psychics on window film. :poke J/K Bham.

:reading I found a physics book in the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express I've been staying at. :lol

Yes we some nice wooden blinds, but those do not prevent my rear neighbor from seeing inside the house during the day when we have them open letting in the daylight.

I retract my statement about night time, cause yes, the blinds will be closed at night so I won't need to worry about the neighbor seeing inside. So I guess a good mirror type film for during the day that would prevent my neighbor from seeing inside when my blinds are open yet let as much sunlight inside the home as possible.

Yes it should work. The sunlight will be your reflective factor and a good mirrored film like a silver20 (if your glass can handle that type of film) should work okay.

P.s. Think about a high rise office building in daytime and at night when someone is still in the office. Day time it is nice and shiney and at night you can see in each individual office if lights are on inside. :twocents

I snapped these pics real quick of my house. I believe I have a 35% and a 25% side by side. There's a screen door so it really isn't noticeable. Also had my son stand about a foot away and I'm about 6 feet away. Me personally I don't like the coloring of the silver films for homes. I'm pretty sure the 20 silver wouldn't be ok for dual pane anyways (not 100% sure on that though). The dual reflective seem to have a more natural look and its very hard to tell anything has changed. As far as purchasing you can get this from express window films without being a dealer possibly Dragon distribution but not 100% sure about that.

post-29693-0-24949300-1457710088_thumb.j

post-29693-0-72794200-1457710100_thumb.j

post-29693-0-22683700-1457710111_thumb.j

Nice jh. :thumb

I'm not 100%sure either but , I think a high reflective will only work if installed on the outer pane of glass. Or it would have to be an exterior film. If installed on the inner pane it will cause a heat buildup issue with the outer pane and could actually warp the vinyl frames.

Hopefully someone with more smarts on this will chime in and explain better.

I gotta go do some cars. :beer

Archived