Recommended film for house

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kemble. If it is possible to point some sort of flood light at these windows, you can use a mirrored or semi-reflective dark film to accomplish the not seeing in part. You can't stop blocking incoming light,,,, but,,, if you create a brighter light on the outside of the window, causing a light reflection off the mirrored surface, your neighbors won't be able to see in,,

AS LONG AS THE LIGHT IS BRIGHTER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW THAN ON THE INSIDE,(little psychics lesson there)

I hope that makes sense. Good luck. :beer

Yes flood lights on glass might work. Wonder if he has blinds

Even though I am in the window tint business, and should be selling film instead of blinds or shades..... As far as residential goes..

It has always surprised me that more people don't go with a good high heat rejection film-IN A LIGHT SHADE. And then spend some money on some really good blinds. Blinds are not permanent and can be adjusted to your liking, per amount of light at that time of day. Just seems way more logical to me. :twocents

Guess you didn't understand my prior post. 

I said daytime privacy with film and blinds for night time privacy. I never said anything about just blinds

@ F1 no I understood, I was just talking personal preference, more or less. :thumb

Plus it doesn't help that I'm a gadget guy. I would go for the remote control power shades, with a blackout shade and a perforated shade that rolls down with a push of a button. :D

I'm not 100%sure either but , I think a high reflective will only work if installed on the outer pane of glass. Or it would have to be an exterior film. If installed on the inner pane it will cause a heat buildup issue with the outer pane and could actually warp the vinyl frames.

Hopefully someone with more smarts on this will chime in and explain better.

Have you heard of that happening before? The vinyl frames warping?  Just curious... I don't use a lot of silver films...

I'm not 100%sure either but , I think a high reflective will only work if installed on the outer pane of glass. Or it would have to be an exterior film. If installed on the inner pane it will cause a heat buildup issue with the outer pane and could actually warp the vinyl frames.

Have you heard of that happening before? The vinyl frames warping?  Just curious... I don't use a lot of silver films...

Maybe not the frame itself (not 100% on that) but I have seen the plastic or vinyl pieces that they use to make it look like French panes, I have seen those warp and bend. But they are a lot thinner than the frames.

Tint the windows with whatever at least 20% vlt resi/commercial film that you like the color and your neibers won't be able to see in your windows during the day

Its not too dark or too light

For night you close your curtains/blinds/shades for privacy and open them in the morning

I am Still searching for that perfect film that works day and night to solve all issues and 2 choices=light or dark,,lol

Maybe not the frame itself (not 100% on that) but I have seen the plastic or vinyl pieces that they use to make it look like French panes, I have seen those warp and bend. But they are a lot thinner than the frames.

Ah, you're right... I have seen those grids warp.  :thumb 

I want to be able to see out but not let my rear neighbor see in. 

We also don't want the film to block any of the incoming sunlight. 

Those two will never happen together. Ever.

ok.. Like I said before, I don't know anything about residential film. Hence why I am here on these forums asking you guys, the professionals.  The main thing I want is for my rear neighbors to not see inside my home during the day or during the night when its dark out and light inside.  What film do I use ?

I have a film on my living room windows (dual pane clear) with a visible light transmission of 65%, facing ESE and at no time during year can a neighbor see beyond 12 inches into the window during any day of the year. Now when dark sets in and the interior lights go on, it's a whole different story. 

It is suggested you have a local shop come out, entertain options and possibly install a couple differing (shades) sample to one segment of a double hung unit (slides up or to one side), each film type separate from the other. Compare for yourself, both day and night.  Do not do this experiment with a simple A4 sample size.

When I here Colorado I immediately think of elevation and snow. Snow is a great reflector of solar energy, including ultraviolet. Don't be fooled by 'North' facing if you have snow on the ground for months at length.

Look at films with visible light transmittance ranging between 50-65%.

Archived