Where do I start? A more logical set of questions.

Guest Johnny5104

Has the fire guy fell out of his tree?  

1. 1. Has the fire guy fell out of his tree?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, he fell off the Sear's Tower!

Guest Johnny5104

First off I would like to thank all of you who have contributed to the message board and site...it has been very helpful when I am lost. I, also, like that other posting am looking to begin window tinting as a business but I'm not looking at starting for awhile (atleast till I become good at it). I'm a firefighter here and I'm looking to start my own business because we only work 10 days a month. I did my first vehicle the other day (my girlfriends) and have questions regarding some problems that I ran into. Below are my specific questions.

1. On the roll down windows that I did there are very small air bubbles around the edges. I don't believe this is dirt because I work in a very clean environment. What would you recommend I do to get rid of these? Do I just need to extract more water from it and work with it more? Could this possibly be because it's a ford and the rain-x they put on the windows?

I have meticulous with scrubbing and cleaning the windows.

2. I had a lot of fun with the back window..as most of you probably did on your first try...blah..blah.. anyways when I did get it to look decent...I ran into problems with combining or overlapping the two layers (bottom and top). I as it implies overlaped the layers and then attempted to cut right along the defroster lines but I still have areas that show through. Are there any tips or tricks that you guys use with that bit of fun? (luckily my gf is very understanding and doesn't mind the little gaps hahaha - although I'd wish they'd go away)

3. Alot of the message board has told me that the dox matrix is just nearly impossible to tint but when this guy that I had do my car (03 eclipse) he tinted right over the fading matrix and there are very few areas that haven't completely adhered to the window...how do you guys believe he may have done that? I know he didn't paint it...

4. As the beginning of the message has stated I am looking and learning and becoming good in the trade...I have purchased tint and tools and have guys at the fire station that are letting me tint their windows for cost of materials for me. Would you guys also recommend that I goto one of the local shops and see if they may be able to help me learn and if so how do I do that with out stepping over their toes and making them feel I'm going to take their business.

Thanks for all the time guys!

John (that fire guy)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as the matrix goes. some cars it stcicks to better than others. it just depends on how thick the matrix is. as far as your back window. I can pretty much bet when you where cutiing. you stoped and started again right. that is no good. you need to go as far accross as you can. with out stoping. as far as the doors there could be a few reasons. there are bubbles there. hard to answer with out seeing what you did. but if it is not dirt. then you didnt push them out. for one reason or the other. could have been not enough soap. or could have just missed them. take them off and do them over. the best way to get better is to practice

yep and as another tip when holdng you knife. hold it like you would hold a small paintbrush. youll get more conrtol from it. if your not sure what I mean by that ill explain. dont just wrap your hand around it like it was a steak knife. and your cutting through a tbone. use two or three fingers up top and your thumb on the bottom. and sort of balance it. give it a try youll see what I mean

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Welcome to the boards J5,

Watch this thread you have created very closely today. As the other tinters check in, you will get good response. We have a few other firefighters in here I think. Anyways, you workin' out in Chicago?

Guest metint

q 1. Try taping off the perimeter weatherstrip with masking tape. This may help with debris especially on Ford's 'cause :ford .

q 2. If you keep the blade in place and not remove it to reposition your body or to restart the cut, it may help with gaps. Both layers of film must be in place and both layers cut simultaneously and exact. Be sure to lightly squeegee down the overlap b4 cutting the seam. The rest of the film can be semi-finished out.

q 3. Matrix is always a head ache and successful film appearance in the matrix is as varied as tinters ideas and the vehicles matirces are found in.

q 4. Visiting other shops well away from your area will reap more cooperative sharing of technique.

I once had a guy around the corner calling all the time for tint help until one day I asked how much money he had in his pocket. I said it was mine if I answered the question he posed to me. That day I became unwilling to teach someone near me even though I had no real worries. Most do not offer up experience unless they feel you are not a threat to their income.

Good luck! Many a good window tinter I have met were firefighters too.

:angel

Guest Braud Spectrum

Those bubbles along the edge could be that ol' felt dust . Those Fords are bad about that stuff. You have to kinda curl the film inward as you put it to the glass (when it's peeled) and let it slide into the sides, otherwise it'll suck that stuff up under there. I've heard some people use hairspray or even tape that felt with masking tape before you start. Might want to try the tape until you get the hang of all the other stuff you're having to deal with. I've never tried the hairspray but I did try tape ...it just got in my way ....so I sneak it in there now. :mrgreen:

Archived