Where do I start? A more logical set of questions.

Guest Johnny5104

Has the fire guy fell out of his tree?  

1. 1. Has the fire guy fell out of his tree?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, he fell off the Sear's Tower!

Guest Litespeeds

Tint school will only show you the basics for window tinting. How to shrink the rear glass in one piece either wet or dry. How to cut your patterns out. How to transfer and squeegee the film. Also will educate you about the different types of films. It is a good starting point to see if you really like it or not. I only know this because one of my buddies went to tint school and they did feel a bit more comfortable tinting but by no means mastering it. It really takes years and years of PRACTICE. You can start slowy by working for a tint shop in your area and slowly learn the trade by watching and prepping but that might take a while because many owners do not want to jeopardize their customer's cars by letting a rookie learn on it unless it is something that comes in that looks all beat up and on its last leg. I would ask all your friends to let you learn on their car and practice, practice, practice. I am in the business for a little over 15 years now and I am still learning something new almost everyday. This would be a great business for you to start up on your free days. Another thing is paintless dent removal but it really depends upon which state you are in. California people are willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to keep their cars dent free, I for one am not one of them. Can't see the reasoning behind it. If you drive your car in the real world, it will eventually get dinged. Fix it and it will eventually happen again. :bs I guess we don't want the unemployment rate to be any lower than it already is.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Guru
Hey guys what have you guys heard anything good or bad about these one week schools for tinting?  Let me know...

John

I have professionaly trained people for 10 years. Its a good thing, its about a 50/50 chance you would make it. 60-70 % is attitude. The skills can be learned, usually, unless you have two thumbs and cant trace a line.

The biggest difference in trainee's are: Skill eye hand cordination. Patients, when you first start out you can see how tricky it is. The important thing is to take it on the chin and redo it you know you need the practice anyways. The most important thing is to follow directions from the trainer, they are trying to beat the basics into you so you dont get bad habits. After the trainin, do 2-3 cars a week so you dont forget what you learned/ First of all you will only retain 50-70% at best and will forget at a rate 10% every 30 days if you dont practice what you learned. It usually takes 2-30 cars to get compfortable and atleast 50 before you get any speed.

The best way to learn is in a shop from someone who has interests in developing your skills one step at a time so you become profient.

Cleaning and prepping one week

Cutting Patterns one week

Installing One week

Heat shrinking one week

So you can see why one week is a bit short. It takes time

J5, I'm in south bend, and I see you only work 10 days a week....I subcontract for the shop I used to work at (it's a loooong story) and since you're in inddy, you're definitely not a threat to my business/income. if you'd like, you're more than welcome to drive alllll the way up to south bend and see if you can pick up some tips from me. I've been doing this for 5 years, I know not as long as some of the guys on this board, but I believe I'm just as good 'cuz I put my heart and soul into it. and I also agree with what the others have said....tint school is gona be a week long crash course in the very basics....I went 5 years ago, and when I came back it took me a day and a half and about a dozen spray bottles, 2 rolls of film and a whole buncha cussing to tint a mustang, which is now a 45 min. car. what I learned back in the day, is that it takes patience to do this stuff, and you gotta have a desire to be a problem solver. if you have those traits you might make it....lol...lemme know if you're interested in learning some basics. if so, send me a PM. good luck. :rollin

Archived