3M FROST EDGES

Guest temonunez26

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate white-frost for this very reason.

I'd rather use Solyx's version of dusted crystal. It sticks much better... IMO.

On the rare occasion where I use a standard frost, and that happens, I'll keep going over it. Do other windows... return and push down... do some more windows, etc.

If that isn't an option, you can try a dab of superglue.

Guest temonunez26

No just backrolled and trimmed excess using one segment length to trim. I run my finger along the side as I'm trimming. Cleaned the edges something to note the building was under construction and the frame was covered in small fine dirt/ sand. I tried to get as much as I could out I'm just thinking if some of it got stuck under there I mean I really really clean the frame. Not sure why its not sticking.

Guest temonunez26

The client was complaining i didn't get the perfect square corners they where more rounded. ...you guys think the 5 way would fix this. I gotta say this isn't normally a problem. ..this is my first time doing 3M frost...ill look into solyx but my honestly i don't own the company my boss refuses to ditch 3M.

Didn't some one say the other day that FG is easy :lol :lol :lol :lol

It looks like it could be a film from the Fasara line which  does not like being creased.

Looks like you need to work on your corner cutting skills .

I think you forced the film down in the corner and trimmed it

It'll take a bit to find them but I have pics somewhere showing how REALLY easy it is to get film to sit down  and stick

Less slip is better when slappin Fasara around.

The client was complaining i didn't get the perfect square corners they where more rounded. ...you guys think the 5 way would fix this. I gotta say this isn't normally a problem. ..this is my first time doing 3M frost...ill look into solyx but my honestly i don't own the company my boss refuses to ditch 3M.

3M sells dusted crystal.... Solyx has their version, which is almost exactly the same, just cheaper.  But dusted crystal is def. more then your standard white-frost.

Installer wise - it's better, IMO.

But like any film, it has both positives and negatives. I just think  the positive of not having issues like that outweigh the rest.

While you are waiting for the pics play with this:

Forget about stabbing and cutting 45° "mitres" out at each corner then pushing the film down and hoping its gonna sit.

Target and let your film fall where it sucks down to the glass.

Lock ONLY the film in the center areas out to each edge to about an inch before the film lifts off the glass and goes to the frame.

Now think of a W where all the angles are 90° and each arm is 2" long .

Turn the W so that its center is at the center of your corner of the frame. Here is the tricky part.

WITHOUT pushing the film down into the corner and using the frame as a guide, cut from the "upper " and "lower " 90° or (vertically and horizontally may be another description) towards the center of your W which corresponds to where the frames meet.

The more you do this the easier it is to judge exactly how far into the film you need to cut based on the depth of the frame.

After doing all 4 (or less if you have used a factory edge to frame) THEN trim your top/ sides /bottom and removing the last of your slip.

The above works for all films but especially well  for any rigid film like the Fasaras or Security films.

If you like this tip click on the up arrow over there on the right  or order up some Tint Fuel from Shawn and send it on up :lol

Don't blame the film. The troubles are 100% install related.   See my other posts in this thread

No just backrolled and trimmed excess using one segment length to trim. I run my finger along the side as I'm trimming. Cleaned the edges something to note the building was under construction and the frame was covered in small fine dirt/ sand. I tried to get as much as I could out I'm just thinking if some of it got stuck under there I mean I really really clean the frame. Not sure why its not sticking.

A : Why not bring the install conditions to the attention of your contact and arrange to install AFTER the construction clean?

B: IF you HAD to install that day why did you not clean the frames anywhere near where you would be moving a piece of film that was loaded with static that would suck in all the dust from the area...  Just a spit of water and a rag would get it.

Archived