Xpel just took a big job from us!!!!!

I'm not a PPF guy.. But if I were, ..no way..no how..no chance , I would buy a single scrap of material from a distributor that also had a instillation arm of the business. This scinario is a recipie for failure to the dealer. What small dealers don't realise is that without them, the mfrs that are eating from both sides of the plate, can not survive. ..Shop owners need to stand their ground and kick double dippers to the curb. .02

Good point and instead of opening up shop when there are no dealers insight, just go after PPF companies in those areas to become dealers.  XPEL name and reputation should be an easy sale.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a PPF guy.. But if I were, ..no way..no how..no chance , I would buy a single scrap of material from a distributor that also had a instillation arm of the business. This scinario is a recipie for failure to the dealer. What small dealers don't realise is that without them, the mfrs that are eating from both sides of the plate, can not survive. ..Shop owners need to stand their ground and kick double dippers to the curb. .02

:yeah Couldn't agree more. The film manufacturers have got where they are by our hard work and promotion, the last thing they should be doing is setting up in competition.

Steve 

So, I checked with our Houston rep, and they've never even talked to the car owner.  The contact at the Lambo store called our store manager and simply said he had a Huracan Spyder to schedule.  

Typically, we have opened shops in areas where there were not existing XPEL installers and others came on board later.  That is also the case here, although I still haven't seen that this is even an XPEL customer.

Dynamic, you are exactly right, and that is exactly the plan.  

Please folks, PLEASE get facts before casting stones. 

This topic came up over a year ago and there was a lot of bad information coming from your end on this as well. I know for a fact I went through your training about 4 or 5 years ago and met an installer based out of Houston going through the advanced training course. He contacted me almost a year later and you guys went in and undercut him on pricing thus taking some of his dealership accounts. To say you didn't have any Houston based independent installers is false. There were 3 to 4 there I knew of before you guys opened your Houston location... and I remember talking to you on the phone asking about the rumor of you guys opening a Houston location. You said you weren't then 4 months later there is a Houston store. I called you back and you stated "at the time we had no plans to open a Houston store"... just what I would expect from a politician. Jeff come on... don't act blindsided by this. This as well as other issues came up over a year ago and Tim was caught lying multiple times. With you guys tracking the cuts through DAP you know exactly what and how many kits installers are cutting at a location... that gives you an idea of where the volume is and you can get in very easily.

Now I have been down to Houston numerous times to install film for clients who bought cars through Lamborghini of Houston. The owner of the dealership is friends with the head guy at Xpel... cant remember names... but the service department made that clear to me. I've also seen the quality of work coming out of there to include a Murci that was completely cut up... so I'm not too worried about it competition wise. But if we are getting into this conversation again Jeff YOU better have your facts straight. I think we saw what happened last year in that thread... and situations like this were predicted to happen. You have an unfair advantage over independent shops which is why you shouldn't open one anywhere near other Xpel installers.

Like Tom, I do not specialize in PPF..

However I have watched closely to rapid growth of Xpel, and that growth seemed to at an unnatural rate.

It is my understanding that 3M are as much taking class action for the way the partnership was cut, as for the breach of the patent they own.

If you are an 'Brand X' dealer that offers a number of brands, inc 'Brand X', then I believe you open yourself to 'Brand X' having every right to setup shop near by. If you are solely a 'Brand X' dealer and 'Brand X' sets up down the road, then this would be just plain bad ethics and business.

Getting the right balance of growth, market share, territories, exclusivity and partnerships is not easy.

A judge will be handing down a decision soon that could have a very drastic affect on the folks at Xpel. That decision may just reflect that uneven balance, and that irregular growth rate.

I am not trying to down grade the PPF industry in any way... However, judging on topics such as this, and some of the practices taking place, PPF is something I won't touch with a 10ft pole.

Cheers.

So, just to recap what's going on:

- Users of competitors products are worried about what we are doing

- XPEL users and consumers love doing business with us, and are constantly growing

- People have to spin the facts or create stories to try to make us look bad.

- We have had excellent growth and increased brand equity 

Sounds like we're doing things just right, if you ask me.   :thumb

So, I checked with our Houston rep, and they've never even talked to the car owner.  The contact at the Lambo store called our store manager and simply said he had a Huracan Spyder to schedule.  

Typically, we have opened shops in areas where there were not existing XPEL installers and others came on board later.  That is also the case here, although I still haven't seen that this is even an XPEL customer.

Dynamic, you are exactly right, and that is exactly the plan.  

Please folks, PLEASE get facts before casting stones. 

This topic came up over a year ago and there was a lot of bad information coming from your end on this as well. I know for a fact I went through your training about 4 or 5 years ago and met an installer based out of Houston going through the advanced training course. He contacted me almost a year later and you guys went in and undercut him on pricing thus taking some of his dealership accounts. To say you didn't have any Houston based independent installers is false. There were 3 to 4 there I knew of before you guys opened your Houston location... and I remember talking to you on the phone asking about the rumor of you guys opening a Houston location. You said you weren't then 4 months later there is a Houston store. I called you back and you stated "at the time we had no plans to open a Houston store"... just what I would expect from a politician. Jeff come on... don't act blindsided by this. This as well as other issues came up over a year ago and Tim was caught lying multiple times. With you guys tracking the cuts through DAP you know exactly what and how many kits installers are cutting at a location... that gives you an idea of where the volume is and you can get in very easily.

Now I have been down to Houston numerous times to install film for clients who bought cars through Lamborghini of Houston. The owner of the dealership is friends with the head guy at Xpel... cant remember names... but the service department made that clear to me. I've also seen the quality of work coming out of there to include a Murci that was completely cut up... so I'm not too worried about it competition wise. But if we are getting into this conversation again Jeff YOU better have your facts straight. I think we saw what happened last year in that thread... and situations like this were predicted to happen. You have an unfair advantage over independent shops which is why you shouldn't open one anywhere near other Xpel installers.

So are they still installing for that Lambo location?

So, just to recap what's going on:

- Users of competitors products are worried about what we are doing

- XPEL users and consumers love doing business with us, and are constantly growing

- People have to spin the facts or create stories to try to make us look bad.

- We have had excellent growth and increased brand equity 

Sounds like we're doing things just right, if you ask me.   :thumb

The only spin I see is coming from you Jeff. I know FOR A FACT what you told me on the phone and then what you guys did. Dodge it all you want but it is the truth. And I did offer Xpel film up until the point you guys became unethical in your business dealings. And the fact that these  threads even pop up show that not all Xpel users are happy with you guys... maybe instead of being arrogant you should LISTEN to what people are saying. But you guys only care about the bottom line no matter who you step on along the way... so yeah I expect to see the same BS coming from that direction. I sincerely hope 3M rips you guys a new one.

Archived