Etch marks in clear after removal

I have seen the apparent line numerous times after film removal on a partial hood turns out its old wax that causes the apparent issue

De waxing the hood removed that line, new coat of wax and bingo back to the way it should be.

Never seen a permanent etch from film over 14 years with anyone's film.

One exception is where an installer cuts on the car and scores the clear with his blade.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from talking to the service advisor at Lexus and they are not going to take care of the customer.  They blamed me for using to harsh a chemical on the car and that caused the etching.  I told them that if it was the adhesive remover I used, then the entire hood would have been damaged as it was sprayed on the whole thing.  He didn't have an answer for that so the only conclusion I can come up with is baby shampoo/water and Suntek adhesive is too harsh for Lexus paint.   I will never do another Lexus and will explain to any Lexus retail customer that calls me that the paint on their car is the weakest on the planet.  

Many good points on here.

Shipping wrap leaves marks like that. They usually go away with heating.

The suggestion of a shipping repaint is VERY valid. Particularly because of the original customer concern was inconsistency with the paint.

The appearance of the marks where the glue remained post removal could indicate something that I've seen a couple of times. Saturation of the glue residue with chemicals could swell the paint/clear if left on too long or done while the panel is too warm.

After removing a partial kit I always recommend a cut and polish. The line is even more evident when customers have been diligent about removing wax along the top edge of the film when detailing their vehicle.

Just got back from talking to the service advisor at Lexus and they are not going to take care of the customer. They blamed me for using to harsh a chemical on the car and that caused the etching. I told them that if it was the adhesive remover I used, then the entire hood would have been damaged as it was sprayed on the whole thing. He didn't have an answer for that so the only conclusion I can come up with is baby shampoo/water and Suntek adhesive is too harsh for Lexus paint. I will never do another Lexus and will explain to any Lexus retail customer that calls me that the paint on their car is the weakest on the planet.

Sorry you're getting f**ked on this one.

I give Toyota and Lexus clients a warning on painted plastic particularly. The paint adhesion isn't the greatest and the installer is at a disadvantage off the hop.

I've heard through discussions with other experienced installers that the bumper paint bubbles easier than most while heating fender coverage. But maybe that part's just their cover story.

Had a hail car come in where the back window broke out. Customer took shipping tape and taped plastic to cover.

They literally taped half of the roof / half of the trunk and all down the quarter panels

The solvents in the tape etched the crap out of the paint

So.....

We ended up wet sanding / polish almost through the entire clear to get them out

Looks great now but beware if you try it not to go to deep

Had the same thing on a brand new GT3RS, its from the film and paint chemical reaction, this was just on the factory white film for shipping on fresh paint... We were able to diminish it with a compound and polish.

Seen it a few times on new 911's. Putting the wrap on before the paint dry maybe?  one was  club coupe and one  an gt3rs.  

Rather than pointing fingers on who is to blame, were they willing to work with you and share responsibility? What is the cost on your end to fix the issue? Do they send you a good amount of volume of business each year? By no means am I saying you are in the wrong. Just offering a different way of looking at it. 

Rather than pointing fingers on who is to blame, were they willing to work with you and share responsibility? What is the cost on your end to fix the issue? Do they send you a good amount of volume of business each year? By no means am I saying you are in the wrong. Just offering a different way of looking at it. 

No. Blamed me for the whole thing and have no idea of what the fix will cost.  It was a retail job so I will take the hit but I have the service managers name.  I only use baby shampoo and water on all full hoods and tack solution just for wrapped edges.   The film came off like it was installed yesterday (used a steamer) everywhere except where the adhesive was left behind.  Normally the remover I use will allow the adhesive to wipe right off but on this one, those areas took a lot of work. 

Hi guys!

Just need to add and ask some in this thread.

Was any glueremover used on this paint?

I have been working on a car a couple of days removing some company logos from a car. first all the glue gets left on the paint because it has been striped to long and after that i noticed that the glueremover stained the carpaint as crazy! This rely sux, i will go to the company that mounted the logos on the car and also gave me the glue remover just to see if they have any ideas.

Also wanted to check with you guys if you have any ideas!

Some glue...

3e24f0e94ec96ff284f783dcccf83f3f.jpg

The stains, it looks like watermarks

ab8c99871e0ce0afd63043f6c5e0b587.jpg

I will take some better photos tomorrow.

Archived