My own car is black, and I want to give it a tuxedo, like this:

e6T3DaE.jpg

But I don't want a lighter gray like this, I want a darker brushed metal, like 3M's Brushed Steel.  But after reading about 3M on this forum maybe there's a better brand.

I think this Arlon looks great, except I want it in darker silver:

https://teslamotorsc...-2#post-1369334

What brands of brushed metal do people have confidence in, specifically for longevity?  Arlon?  Avery?  3M?  Bueller?

Apparently the procedure to apply 3M's Brushed Steel is waterless.  Is it only them?

Usually I bulk, so as to wrap edges, but I guess the best approach in this case would be to pre-cut.  But this seems easy to misalign, given that application is waterless?

Does waxing the textured wrap increase its longevity?  Opticoat?  Nanolex?  Cquartz?

That's good to know, but they also have a black brushed metal but I want slightly lighter, and Brusched Steel about fits the bill.

I'm not so sure I trust 3M for films, so I'm also wondering about Arlon and Avery.  And about protecting the film.

I think the reading you may be doing is more on 3m tint and PPF films. 3m wrap film are not spoken down upon often that I have seen. I use Avery SW and 3m 1080 depending on the color choice I want. I prefer Avery to install. Most all wrap films are applied dry. They have an air release pattern in the adhesive. 

I think the reading you may be doing is more on 3m tint and PPF films. 3m wrap film are not spoken down upon often that I have seen. I use Avery SW and 3m 1080 depending on the color choice I want. I prefer Avery to install. Most all wrap films are applied dry. They have an air release pattern in the adhesive.

On this forum maybe they don't, but this is a "tint" forum. If you are on any other forums or groups, 3M has taken a pretty bad hit with the adhesive they used in their vinyl lines. Caused glue lines if left with out laying down right away, over heating, repositioning. I used it 2 years ago and have basically avoided it unless absolutely nothing else satisfied the customer. Avery is the go to line for me, just easier to work, good color selection, has nice stretch. There are a few newer companies making big steps in colors, designs, over lams,but they are harder to work with.

As for the brushed material you are going g to be working with, steady, gentle pressure while laying it down. If you press too hard you will "dent" the finish and it will look like, we'll dents on the vinyl. Also, be careful on the curves and over heating. It cause the film to stretch and the will distort the finish.

Archived