How old is too old to start tinting?

Not sure when i started but I'm 60 now and still tinting, and intend to carry on tinting my knees arnt in the best condition but whilst i can still get up after bending down i see no reason to stop  :hat

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate all the responses and encouragement. My knees and back and fine right now, so no issues there. I'm still thinking about it, but it is good to know others have started at about the same age and had a good experience.

I've been interested in tinting for a number of years and have worked in the automotive aftermarket for 14 years. I worked in sales and 12V/accessory installation at a shop for 7 years that did window tint and would hang out in the tint bay quite a bit during downtime and watch the tinter and learn techniques. I applied the tint to a few quarter windows, I just never attempted to tint a full car myself.

I am currently 34 and wish I had learned how to tint 15 years ago. I've recently been thinking about going through a training program and learning to tint. How old is too old to start? How old were you when you started?

I am 38 and just started to try to learn this art, so you will be fine!

You have this forum as well to ask questions in, it is awsome with all ppl in here. I am a lurker but i do alot of reading and i have started to tint some customer cars now.

b03d3db23565da6cbdcbd097c39fdb86.jpg

c772f72a166a09b9061d315161371d87.jpg

I have about the same background as you.  Shadetree mechanic, friends in the business, etc.  Started tinting a year ago when I got sick of people either not returning phone calls or charging enough for a two door to make me curious as to making that kind of money myself....lol.  I am going to be 36 in 2 months.  So there you go.  Glad I did it.  Still getting better and still getting frustrated, but just enough better to keep me stupid enough to keep trying.....haha.

I have about the same background as you.  Shadetree mechanic, friends in the business, etc.  Started tinting a year ago when I got sick of people either not returning phone calls or charging enough for a two door to make me curious as to making that kind of money myself....lol.  I am going to be 36 in 2 months.  So there you go.  Glad I did it.  Still getting better and still getting frustrated, but just enough better to keep me stupid enough to keep trying.....haha.

That does sound similar!  I will actually be 35 in 2 months. 

I went to school for auto mechanics and worked as a mechanic for about a year.  I moved to a truck accessory shop in '02 and have worked in the aftermarket since.  I worked at a custom shop from 07-14 who did window tint.  I was interested in how the process worked and starting hanging out with the tinters in the bay during slow time to see how it all worked.  I then found out that the tinters were the best paid employees in the building and that increased my interest even more!  I've seen many of the techniques, just have never attempted to tint a full car myself.  I currently work in an office everyday and miss working on cars. 

I think I am now ready to take the leap!  I know there is a steep learning curve, but think I have the skills and patience to get good at it.  Only 1 way to find out!

I've been interested in tinting for a number of years and have worked in the automotive aftermarket for 14 years. I worked in sales and 12V/accessory installation at a shop for 7 years that did window tint and would hang out in the tint bay quite a bit during downtime and watch the tinter and learn techniques. I applied the tint to a few quarter windows, I just never attempted to tint a full car myself.

I am currently 34 and wish I had learned how to tint 15 years ago. I've recently been thinking about going through a training program and learning to tint. How old is too old to start? How old were you when you started?

I am 38 and just started to try to learn this art, so you will be fine!

You have this forum as well to ask questions in, it is awsome with all ppl in here. I am a lurker but i do alot of reading and i have started to tint some customer cars now.

b03d3db23565da6cbdcbd097c39fdb86.jpg

c772f72a166a09b9061d315161371d87.jpg

Thanks for chiming in, glad to see I'm not alone!

Archived