What to do when you want to tint but can't?

see if you can find local glass shop that might have some work and try 'Farming out' your labor to busy tint shops to keep you going

Good idea on the glass shops.

How do you go about calling another tint shop and working something out since you would be their compition??? I know we're all friendly here, but I don't know how much friendly they would be if it's a tint shop a couple miles from me.

Is the price of your estimates too high

Not that I'm aware of. I know how much the shop I used to work at charges... and I had a customer get a 2nd estimate for the home I did last week and I came in cheaper. (I think about $175 or so)

I dunno. When I go give an estimate, it's generally with the wife... and their reply has always been "I'll talk it over with my husband"... so getting a close on the initial call hasn't really been happening.

I went through the phone book and got people's names and addys that I knew lived in the rich neighborhoods around here...made up a pamplet...mailed it to them...done like 50 and got 10 jobs

The job I did last week.. it's the 2nd house in the same development that I've tinted. When I was back in the area for the estimates, I wrote down the names of the streets and house numbers, so hopefully I'll be able to send out a mailing to that area.

If those three estimates I did on friday fly - that will be a total of 4 houses I've done in that development... and again, I wrote down the names of the streets and house numbers to send out a mailing there. I just wanted to wait until I did at least one more in there before sending them out. (I think it would look good to be able to say I've done at least 2 homes in any specific area.)

So far all the suggestions sound good... now I gotta put them to use!! :thumb:lol

RoAcH

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest S and S

When I tint a house I have a corrugated sign I stick up in the yard and if its ok with the customer I leave it for a week or so It says

Sound & Shade Window Tinting

Automotive, Residential & Commercial

and my #

I send the mailings out to potential areas that I have NOT done any houses in, we have a couple that are for retired people from florida that live here in the summer.

When I tint a house I have a corrugated sign I stick up in the yard and if its ok with the customer I leave it for a week or so

That is on my list of items to get... just don't have much funding at the time. :(

I send the mailings out to potential areas that I have NOT done any houses in

Do you mention that you've done houses nearby?

RoAcH

Guest S and S

No I just send out a flyer with my info...web addy included....some information on the safety features and rejection...all the good stuff....plus why its better than curtains and blinds...

Guest Film Maverick
try 'Farming out' your labor to busy tint shops to keep you going

Most of my work is for a few different shops that keep me as busy as I want to be. I made a decision recently to start working more on my own and I have had to turn down work from these shops just to find time to get myself better organized. If you develop good relationships with your competition it can pay off for years.

Guest Film Maverick
How do you go about calling another tint shop and working something out since you would be their compition??? I know we're all friendly here, but I don't know how much friendly they would be if it's a tint shop a couple miles from me.

I call the owner and ask for an appointment so that he could see that I look respectable enough to represent him. I assure them that I will never try to steal a contact from him or do side work because of a job that I have been sent on. Eventually the opportunity will arise when they will need some help and put you to the test.

call them explain who you are and what you want

"Hi my name is Roach and im a profession tinter by trade. If you come along any large jobs that you feel you might want to hire extra help for give me a call. Iget $XX per sq/ft for labor but im flexible if the works clean or easy. Thanks"

Its only the phone man the worst they can says is no thanks

My brother in-law ownes his own shop. He subs for a bunch of other shop all the time. It helps during the slow season. He lets them know up front he is an owner/installer and makes it clear that he will never mention his shop when subbing for them. On his cell phone answering service he says "you have reached John" not "not you have reached John with Transparent Window Films".

He is reliable and a good installer something we all wish we had and is hard to come by. People are happy to use him.

Archived