He must of thought I was a complete idiot

Black caulk...after almost 30years doing this....I have never heard of that one. :blink

I actually use it on the back glass of a Chevy Avalanche. Works great especially because that's the easiest piece of glass you'll ever remove making the caulk east to apply. If someone has a better idea on those I'd love to hear it.

Interesting, what about the defroster tabs? Such a horrible design. No matter what I've done on those rear windows ive always had a sliver of light around it.

The metal makes it impossible to cut big. I've cut slightly big then angled my blade in a way to cut as close as possible yet still leaves a sliver of light.

Not saying it's impossible but would love to see it.

Edited by Lock

:lol I haven't done one for a couple of years, but if I get one anytime soon, I will take pics.

:thumb2

I've done a few, the privacy glass ones are not too bad but the non privacy suck! :hump

At the same time....we are talking a 95 Ford...not the same...there is no way you need caulk on those. And I am not saying the Avalanche are easy by any means....I HATE them....and price accordingly.... :chin maybe that's why i haven't done one for a couple of years? :lol

Edited by slick

I agree on the ford. I took the discussion a bit off topic but thought I would share an instance where I've found black caulk to be useful.

Using a black marker, caulk, glass primer, tape, ect should never be used as a crutch to fill gaps. If you do that just comes down to being lazy.

There are a few exceptions to this though IMO. But overall I agree, it's unnecessary.

Edited by Lock

I agree on the ford. I took the discussion a bit off topic but thought I would share an instance where I've found black caulk to be useful.

Using a black marker, caulk, glass primer, tape, ect should never be used as a crutch to fill gaps. If you do that just comes down to being lazy.

There are a few exceptions to this though IMO. But overall I agree, it's unnecessary.

I would typically ise puffy paint or "trim" that gasket at a 45, I mentioned the caulk because the customer is not an installer, anyone can use the black window sealant. It is in fact a black gasket like compound that is labeled window sealer. So for a customer he could easily go around the inside of the glass himself versus going from shop to shop til he's broke trying to find a n instaler competent enough to do the back glass correctly. I'm in no way saying a fix for a profesional installer. Just a way for this particular customer to make his back glass look a lot better. If he is careful and takes his time he definitely can make it appear as a factory gasket.