Running out of room?

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding shrinking rear windows.  Once in a while I run into an issue where I'm about 75% done shrinking the window and I get a bunch of film bunched up in the top/bottom corners of the side I'm finishing on.  It's like I run out of room and can't shrink the film any further.  It's sort of hard to explain, but the fingers get horizontal and the film creases very easily.  

I'm using the dry shrink method with dryer sheets.  I shrink the rear window in quarters, starting with the passenger side.  Once the top and bottom are completely done I move onto the driver side.  Then when I get about half way done with the driver side it's like I run out of room and can't shrink any further.

Would shrinking each quarter of the window a little bit at a time resolve this issue?  I'm guessing all this film is bunching up because I'm shrinking one side completely without touching the other?  Does this make sense? 

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Brayden

Hi Brayden, if you haven't yet try baby powder and do some lift and pull. I use Global QDP and can heat some creases out but not a good thing to get them there to start! Lots of guys here use a hard card shrinking but I'm with the glove group :twocents

Also I'm a dryer sheet guy but most people here use the Mad Dog soap method instead because of cancer fears. The search button on tintdude is real handy tool for finding stuff. Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you :beer

If you ever need information on learning lots of stuff to make your work easier I have a discount for tintdude members on my dvd training program..... PM me

Cheers

Stan

Hi Brayden, if you haven't yet try baby powder and do some lift and pull. I use Global QDP and can heat some creases out but not a good thing to get them there to start! Lots of guys here use a hard card shrinking but I'm with the glove group :twocents

Also I'm a dryer sheet guy but most people here use the Mad Dog soap method instead because of cancer fears. The search button on tintdude is real handy tool for finding stuff. Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you :beer

If you ever need information on learning lots of stuff to make your work easier I have a discount for tintdude members on my dvd training program..... PM me

Cheers

Stan

Cancer?!  Just when I thought tinting was safe.  I wasn't aware that is a concern when using dryer sheets.  I will definitely do some research on the Mad Dog soap method.  

I'm using ASWF Excel series film and I'm able to fix most minor creases, but as you said ideally there wouldn't be any!  I've tried using the glove, but I feel like I have more control with a felt edge bondo card.

Thanks for your input Stan!  :beer

Start Your shrink in the corners and move to the middle....Their is much more room to play with in the middle, so you can move excess that way.

Your welcome.... :cool

:bingo exactly what I do...the corners are where the curves are generally more concentrated...the middle not so much, so move-it on over! :thumb

Booms and Slick - thanks for sharing this tip.

Now that I think of it, I am guilty of working film from the middle towards the corners.  Moving forward I'll always work from the corners inward.

Do you guys completely finish a corner before moving onto the next?  Sometimes I feel that if I shrunk each corner evenly there would be less bunched up film towards the end, but I have yet to try it this way.

99% of the time, yes.  I don't really focus on "corners" so much as 1/4's.  By that I mean I break the glass up into 1/4's.  I usually shrink the top right 1/4, then the lower left, then lower right, then upper right.  

Archived