2012 Mercedes GL-550 hood

Ok so I'm using Suntek Paint Protection and today I did a 2012 GL-550. I didn't have the kit so most of it I had to handcut. The hood took me forever and I found it difficult to install. It came out good but I'm worried about it lifting up. I did probond the edge but I was still having issues. Can someone give me some pointers if I have to redo it?

5c3303ed6db34ff3fa9558581ad7989e.jpg

e954ebc7030491ad13e77c44a75ea8d4.jpg

This was the trouble spot I was working with.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have done  a lot of these as I have a Mercedes account. I use Suntek also. I know exactly what your talking about on each side of the front of the hood where it curves down. You want to bulk this (like you are) , a kit just makes it way harder to do. What I do is ,get the whole hood down except those 2 front areas. I keep it soaped up pretty good to right before it starts to curve down off the top of the hood to the front. Then I use xpel edge prep on the edge and under the hood from the grill to the head light area. Then I can pull gently down to flatten the film and squeegee out and it will hold first time from the edge prep.This way I get no pull marks on the hood. It's so hard to explain typing it out. So I hope that makes sense.I have never used Pro bond, but edge prep can be a life saver. They all seem to be black also. haha

I have done a lot of these as I have a Mercedes account. I use Suntek also. I know exactly what your talking about on each side of the front of the hood where it curves down. You want to bulk this (like you are) , a kit just makes it way harder to do. What I do is ,get the whole hood down except those 2 front areas. I keep it soaped up pretty good to right before it starts to curve down off the top of the hood to the front. Then I use xpel edge prep on the edge and under the hood from the grill to the head light area. Then I can pull gently down to flatten the film and squeegee out and it will hold first time from the edge prep.This way I get no pull marks on the hood. It's so hard to explain typing it out. So I hope that makes sense.I have never used Pro bond, but edge prep can be a life saver. They all seem to be black also. haha

What is this "xpel edge prep" you speak of?

Sorry for not being so specific waxworkz. The issue I had was the film not wanting to tack down where the hood comes down. The spot in the second pic. My slip solution is water with about 30% alcohol and a drop of JJ. I prep everything with rapid prep before hand. Tack solution is alcohol and water. On that bottom edge of the hood even after I pro bonded it and squeegee everything out I hand small fingers wanting to come up.

Sorry for not being so specific waxworkz. The issue I had was the film not wanting to tack down where the hood comes down. The spot in the second pic. My slip solution is water with about 30% alcohol and a drop of JJ. I prep everything with rapid prep before hand. Tack solution is alcohol and water. On that bottom edge of the hood even after I pro bonded it and squeegee everything out I hand small fingers wanting to come up.

You use alcohol in your slip? We use 2 bottles, 1 slip, 1 tack. Slip is about 30-32oz of water and 3 decent drops of JJ. Tack is about 30% alcohol(70% ipa) and the rest water. Although now we are trying the 3M gel in a custom ratio

Archived