Tinting over old tint

I heard the adhesive fails quicker when you tint over old tint. Is there any truth to that? Also, is there anything else that I should be worried about when tinting over old tint?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK.  First off, you are tinting over old tint.  So your tint is only as good as the tint you are tinting over.  Secondly, how do you sweat off old tint with a garbage bag?  Think of what happens to old tint when you wet it down and put it in the sun with a black garbage bag over it....

It doesn't follow the same principles as bagging Slick. You squeegee most of the solution out.

I've tested this on my own car. Tinted in ATR35, then added a second layer 6 months later when bubs no.1 was born to darken the rear winders up to let bubs sleep. The install was still looking fresh 5 years later when I sold the car.

I don't recommend it or generally do it, but I haven't seen any problems with the 2nd layer not adhering to the hard coat of the 1st.

You won't get a manufacturer to warranty it though and who knows what the tsea figure on this would be for FG installs

ok. so you knew the the first layer of film and it was only 6 months old.  I wouldn't classify 6 month old ATR  "old film."  :twocents

I am talking old film like the OP said.  I am assuming he doesn't know the make of the first layer...and that it's actually "old". :lol

It doesn't follow the same principles as bagging Slick. You squeegee most of the solution out.

I've tested this on my own car. Tinted in ATR35, then added a second layer 6 months later when bubs no.1 was born to darken the rear winders up to let bubs sleep. The install was still looking fresh 5 years later when I sold the car.

I don't recommend it or generally do it, but I haven't seen any problems with the 2nd layer not adhering to the hard coat of the 1st.

You won't get a manufacturer to warranty it though and who knows what the tsea figure on this would be for FG installs

:bingo. I do it all the time but with no warranty whatsoever to save the customer money. I just tell them that the job will only look as good as the original job only darker. I've been able to track a few cars over the years and I've seen it last 10 years plus without issue.

Of course it's not recommended and you're always better off removing old stuff and redoing but I wouldn't rule it out to Tint over Tint

Archived