suntek film

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not double weeding. You weed all of the excess film once, then strip the cap sheet off of the remaining pieces. I can cut and weed a kit with a cap on it faster and easier than anyone doing it without. The cap highlights where the kit is so you don't struggle based on lighting to figure out where the pieces are, you can be rougher while weeding because the cap sheet is stiff so you are less likely to have the kit be torn from the weeding process, and flicking the cap sheet off is pretty easy if taught properly. There are very little cons to the process and I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. 

Even if you feed the film out first and then strip the cap and feed it back, it's still not a lot of time added to the process. Maybe an extra 40 seconds. 

Ive always liked suntek because it does move better without silvering, but! you do spend more time trying to get the film to sit and lock down because of the weaker adhesive, which i don't like. I think long term there is more chance of a lifting edge or issues for customers to come back and complain. Xpel ultimate, when its down it stays down. From my experience anyway

I have had no more issues with lifting than any other film I have used I just make sure the edges are well cleaned and de-greased before installation.

I see what you mean about the weeding, I will have to have another go with the cap sheet on.

Steve

You're not double weeding. You weed all of the excess film once, then strip the cap sheet off of the remaining pieces. I can cut and weed a kit with a cap on it faster and easier than anyone doing it without. The cap highlights where the kit is so you don't struggle based on lighting to figure out where the pieces are, you can be rougher while weeding because the cap sheet is stiff so you are less likely to have the kit be torn from the weeding process, and flicking the cap sheet off is pretty easy if taught properly. There are very little cons to the process and I feel that the pros outweigh the cons.

Even if you feed the film out first and then strip the cap and feed it back, it's still not a lot of time added to the process. Maybe an extra 40 seconds.

From a manufacturer's point of view....

I think what you're seeing here guys is a move by the manufacturers (us included) to protect their investment. Unfortunately, not every decision is made, or can be made, to the benefit of the end user - in this case the installers. This TPU resin (polyurethane) remains one of the most expensive substrates that I have even seen be adhesive coated. To that end, when a manufacturer has a problem (and we all do), it becomes a very expensive one.

The most prominent issue with TPU is that it can lose gloss when heavy impact is applied over a short period of time. SO......when the roll is initially wound up at the plant, it looks perfect! Give it a week or two to hit the installer's shop, and all hell can break loose if dull bands become prominent enough to be seen on the vehicle. A manufacturer who produces a few thousand rolls without a cap sheet can be looking at close to $1,000,000 in defective film. 

On the flip side, apply a cap sheet and the problem is solved! As the market grows, each manufacturer is making more product; this in turn increases the risk with each production run!

Just figured I'd try to explain the reason why 

so what you are saying is the film would have to be redeveloped in order to not run into the hazy issues?

That or always force everyone to use the cap sheet from now on?  I for one hate the cap sheet, but I dont have a TON of experience with it, so I really dont know the tricks to using it (other than rolling it out, spraying with water to reduce static which is inevitable, peeling that cap sheet off, then peeling the liner off)

Seems like extra work, then again, having to sit ther and heat up the film to restore the gloss is extra work, potentially unfixable like my last sheet I turned in for warranty.  Went through two Tesla hoods for little bubbles in the film (not installer error bubbles) and extreme haze that wouldn't heat out.  Switched to a brand new roll and then the hood looked glossier than the fenders that were done with the previous roll.  Both those rolls came off the same pallet order as well.  One was considerable waster of time to use and install.

Archived