obey the tint laws?

http://www.windowfilmmag.com/2015/08/lawsuit-claims-tint-to-blame-in-fatal-hit-of-teen-jogger/ 

We all do a few miles over the limit from time to time... Do we agree with all laws? Not likely..

But I would encourage with all of my heart the following ethics...

"If you can't keep it legal, keep it safe"

If you know in the back of your mind that what you are installing has the possibility of causing harm to someone... Then you shouldn't be putting it on...

2 cents...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poersonally, I have the actually laws laying on my counter. If somebody asks, I just point to the papers. If they say, "aw c'mon, I won't tell anybody you did it...I will say I did it!" I reply, "are you asking me to do something that you now know is illegal? Do those lines work when you walk into your pharmacist and ask for some OxyContin? Cuz they won't work here. Why would I risk everything I have worked for for a measly few bucks. Would you?

After saying that one time, the customer stopped for a second, them replied, "how did you know I was a cop?" I told him I didn't, and that that was my reply to anyone who asked. About a month later, he came back into my shop and said he believed me, because they had had 4 more plain clothes cops try and catch me in the meantime.

Theses days, most walk into my shop and just say either, "I don't suppose you do (name illegal tint) do you?" or "I already know you won't so i won't ask."

You could also try posting the old faithful sign in the customer area, "We don't tint illegally, so please don't ask."

:thumb  :hat

Place a sign on the counter saying, 'For illegal tint jobs, use the phone book provided' and place a phone book and dummy phone next to the book in front of the sign.  :lol

Back in the day I would pull the book out from under the counter and place the phone atop it. 'Here you go, I think you are in the wrong place.

One guy kept insisting until I finally said, 'I bet you're one of those that push the women and children aside to get to the lifeboat'. He called me an A**hole, imagine that!

After the IL law change, I saw business increase. I lost a few customers because I would not go darker then 35%. But I gained more customers then I lost. Kids want dark, adults want legal. I enjoyed getting rid of the kids!

I'm no longer in Illinois any more, and now in western Michigan. I do some work for a few shops part time (partly retired), and am amazed at the amount of 20% & 5% that competing shops install, I've lost a lot of jobs because I won't install it on fronts. But I sleep better at night. A lot of installers have the attitude, "it won't happen to me".

I know one tinter that got sued for dark film on the fronts, after the vehicle was in an accident.

All depends on the state you live in Michigan is a no fault insurance state and I personally install illegal tint on police vehicles and swat , and all there friends cars and not to mention regular customers , almost every customer gets tint that is not state legal, BUT when I tinted in Tennessee I as a tint shop would get a big fine you tinted illegally

If they want illegal tint they don't get a warranty card, thus no warranty. And they pay 20% more. Although I have seen some shops that have customers sign a waiver where they sign off that their car is for "off road use only" which clears the shop when installing illegal film.

If they want illegal tint they don't get a warranty card, thus no warranty. And they pay 20% more. Although I have seen some shops that have customers sign a waiver where they sign off that their car is for "off road use only" which clears the shop when installing illegal film.

Waiver is nothing but proof you tinted it. Period. Will not protect you.

Archived