Safety film - seamed with wet glaze

Was in a building today unrelated to film and they (govt) had someone come in a install safety film to the back door and the two front plateglass (?) windows. The front entrance wasn't done - which I'm not sure what the point was to not do that, but not my job... not my call.

Here is a pic of the front. The doors have been replaced with brand new doors and sidelights... normal commercial type. (Not filmed)

The three big windows have a horizontal seam going across..  Wet glaze attachment.

My question is - how effective would the attachment system, or any attachment system be, with the film being seemed?

I will gladly admit I can't do wet glaze... but these guys can't either. lol

post-177-0-54049000-1467762375_thumb.jpg

Any forceful impact at the seam will fail. Any forceful impact not at the seam will expose that area as the weak (penetrable) point.

Witnessed this for myself during preliminary testing of safety films (before the official) on 36 x 80 panels back in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Large panes should be removed, cut down and fit to new smaller (cross-member) framework not in need of a seam before applying safety film. This to maximize effectiveness.  :hat

Edit: Does not matter whether it's butt-seamed, overlapped seam (1", 2", 3", etc), the seam is going to fail.

Archived