Sign in to follow this  
LAPK78

Noob Needs Advice on Home Film

Also, was I correct in my assessment that I should go with a more reflective as opposed to absorbing tint?

Yes, the lower the absorption rate, the more efficient the film is when AC is cooling the interior. Remember from science class, heat always seeks cold. The hotter a film gets the interior glass the more it will move to the interior where the air temp is cooler. If they can't give you an absorption rate, be cautious. 

Don't let the 25 35 range scare you off. This are great films that will reduce some glare with great heat reduction. I only ever get complaints about those who went to light. Anything above 50 will have zero detection imo.

Ideally, I wouldn't block ANY light. I want as much light as possible, just heat reduction. I'm actually wanting something around 70, but with a low absorption rate. Does there exist a 70 with a low absorption rate? More reflective, but without being too mirror-like?

Edited by LAPK78

The light films are a waste of $$ compared to a DR15 for comfort and heat rejection but have to give the customer what they want

If the home owners assc said no good tint?? I would burn the house down and move,lol

Thanks for the reply.

Why are light films a waste of money? From the little reading I've done, I thought that the dark films generally block more heat, but that the relationshop between light transmitted vs heat reduction is not a linear relationship. I thought there can still be a decent amount of heat blockage without blocking much (any) light at all. Is this true?

If this type of film exists, that's what I'm interested in... especially if it's not too mirror-like. We really like it our house to be well-lit with an "open" feel to it, if that makes sense.

Hi Lyle my name is Nick and I'm an authorized Huper Optik dealer for the Austin / San Antonio area. My company is fully insured and I have many references throughout central Texas. Huper Optik offers beautiful non reflective films that reject a significant amount of heat without radically changing the look of your windows on the exterior. I would love to show you these films and answer any and all questions. 512-672-9188

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply.

Could you provide a link to a Huper Optik spec sheet? Thanks!

On 7/27/2016 at 5:28 PM, LAPK78 said:

So what's considered a "safe" absorption rate? I.e., a rate that likely won't lead to window failure. Thanks.

Ideally 35-45... 

On 7/27/2016 at 5:34 PM, LAPK78 said:

Ideally, I wouldn't block ANY light. I want as much light as possible, just heat reduction. I'm actually wanting something around 70, but with a low absorption rate. Does there exist a 70 with a low absorption rate? More reflective, but without being too mirror-like?

Very few 70% VLT films with reflectivity. You could look at a sample of Vista VS61. I installed some to a rental property of mine and you could 'not' tell it was there. Blended nicely into the dual-pane appearance.

Known as spectrally selective films, hence the 'S' used in identifiers on Vista films.

Edited by Tintguy1980

I glanced quickly at the 3m and llumar films specified to see absorption rate and couldn't find any. The supplier I use has it labeled out pretty clear tsea. I know they have to have it somewhere maybe labeled different :dunno

The light films are a waste of $$ compared to a DR15 for comfort and heat rejection but have to give the customer what they want

If the home owners assc said no good tint?? I would burn the house down and move,lol

Thanks for the reply.

Why are light films a waste of money? From the little reading I've done, I thought that the dark films generally block more heat, but that the relationshop between light transmitted vs heat reduction is not a linear relationship. I thought there can still be a decent amount of heat blockage without blocking much (any) light at all. Is this true?

If this type of film exists, that's what I'm interested in... especially if it's not too mirror-like. We really like it our house to be well-lit with an "open" feel to it, if that makes sense.

Some people just want super light UV blocking film to stop fading

The real light films are better than no film but not really good for comfort when the sun is in the windows=heat rejection and shading

Really wish it was safe to put non reflective darker film on most house/office glass and I would sell a lot more jobs because for whatever reason they hate the mirror tint