All Metal Auto Express Film

I have been using QDP and your Classic Black line and it is very installer friendly. I like it ALOT. We use the QDP for our dealer accounts and we give the customers a choice between CB and QDP. But I had a Lexus customer with an I350 F series ask us about a tint that reflects like a mirror. We showed him the sample of the Auto All Metal tint and he loved it. So we went ahead and did a special order just for him. I dont know if I'm burning it everytime or if it's the film but I have done the roll up windows atleast 3 to 4 times each and I keep getting distortion color where the film is being shrunk. I guess you could say that the film is ghosting? I'm not sure. I'll try and post a picture. I'm ready to remove this tint and take a loss. I just don't like to leave the customer disappointed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20160801_183344_zpsgonptjtj.jpg

This picture doesn't really show it that good. but when you look at it at a certain angle it looks bad. Did I burn it hella times? Do I have to be very very careful with it?

Some full metal films will ghost easier then others.Looks like you are wet shrinking the finger on the door glass. This will cause ghosting more easily. Try to snap shrink the door glass. This will spread the heat out across the film not causing it to ghost. Go slow with a low heat. Another thing you can do is snap shrink the top and bottom. This will just help spreading the shrinking over a larger surface of the film.

With the back glass, heat it slow on low heat moving from side to side being carful to not get the film overly hot.

Someone else can give you a better explanation then me, but getting the film to hot on a concentrated area is disturbing the metal in the film causing it to ghost.

Ok. Should I dry shrink the sides? Instead of an H pattern I should make an "n" pattern? the BG is actually good. It's the sides that's causing me problems. Thanks for the Input bud! 

So they way I snap shrink is. Lay the cut pattern on my glass peel board and hard card out all the water from behind it. Lifting the bottom edge of the film slightly I run the heat gun across the bottom edge. The film will start to shrink. The higher you pull the film up the more it will shrink. It doesn't take much and you can over shrink it quick so go slow.

The only thing that is different from Ralph's video is he shrinks the fingers down first then snap shrinks it after ("double shrink"). That will still cause the ghosting. Skip the shrinking of the individual fingers. Just do the snap shrink part. If you will still have the car tomorrow I will shoot you a quick vid of how I do it when I get into the shop in the morning

I showed the customer his car and I asked him to look at it and if he was satisfied. He liked it but he hasn't seen it during the day. He was actually really excited about it. But, I have a feeling he will be coming back for an R&R. I'm probably going to have to buy another roll of this film. So, the video would be greatly appreciated bro. You da man Jake!

Hi Stewy,

Jake is correct.  This may be ghosting.

The EWF All Metal Series is pure Sputtered Nichrome and ghosting is a possible consequence with this type of construction.  That being said, installers who handle a lot of it are familiar with techniques that greatly reduce or eliminate it.  There are board members here who could give you more insightful guidance on that than I possibly could (not being an installer myself).

The ghosting is a result of trapped water vapor from the application solution which can stain the film a milky white.

Note:  This is the only construction in the EWF range made with pure Nichrome and is the only film where ghosting may be a factor.  It does not impact any other film in our range as we do not use sputtered metals in any other auto films.

I agree with you:  On certain vehicles, the slight VLRe increase does look very nice.  Caution - as with any sputtered metal auto film, this could block some signals.

Thanks,

Howard

Archived