Layering two different brands of tint

Hi all. Long time lurker and finally decided to create an account to ask a question as I could not find an answer by searching. (There is a summary of my situation and a TL;DR at the bottom)

"Little" background. I originally had Formula One Pinnacle on my windows (35% front and 5% all rears) and Air Blue on the windshield. I grew tired of the AIr Blue and wanted something a little darker. I was about to go for the 3M Crystalline 50 but then came across the Spectra Photosync. I was really impressed with the numbers. I know that there were no third parties to verify the numbers were valid but I decided to go for it. Luckily a very reputable shop has this regularly in stock.

I was BLOWN away at the quality and the visibility of the Photosync. I went with the Photosync 55 and glad I did not go any darker. The day after installation, I was down in Southern NJ and had to drive back up in the middle of the night. No street lights or other cars on the back road, and I was able to see clearly. I wanted more... I set-up an appt to have my front windows done.

I wish Photosync came in darker shades as I wanted my rears to have the 5% tint for privacy and the fronts to still have visibility, which at about 30% is about as dark as I want to go up front. I also wanted something with high TSER. I decided to do my front windows with Photosync 35 and rear windows with Huper Optik 05 Ceramic. They both have 75% TSER. I know that the Huper would be more blue and more reflective but looking at the Photosync pics, they too looked a little blue and reflective. I thought it would be a good idea to mix the tints and that they wouldn't look to off... I was wrong.

First problem, Almost no one wants to work with Huper Optik in a 5% as it is too difficult to work with. I finally found an installer a little less than two hours away that was willing to work with it without a problem. I figured cool, I would have my rear done on weekend and do my fronts the next weekend. After the Huper was installed, the rear tints look almost silver and very reflective. Almost like a mirror, especially in direct sunlight. I figured that after I redo my fronts with the Photosync, that it would match a little better....

Second problem, after I did do my fronts with the Photosync 35, it does not match the Huper Ceramic 05..... at all..... Also, I noticed some ghosting on the rear windshield from the heatshrinking. I called the shop that did the Huper and he said that he will redo it. He has years of experience and will fix it. Even if he is willing to re-do the back windshield, I still am not happy with the way the way the Huper Ceramic looks. Granted, the heat rejection is great but the looks are killing me...

At this point, which is leading up to my main question, I am thinking about re-doing the rear with Photosync 35 and adding a layer of darker tint behind it. I was told that the look outside will have the properties of the first tint. Is this true? That's my main question. If it is, maybe I can do the Photosync 35 and add the Huper Ceramic behind it? Or will it still be very reflective? Will the ghosting still show if the guys adds the Huper behind it and it ends up ghosting again? If the Huper properties will still penetrate and appear, I might just throw on some Pinnacle behind it instead to darken it and call it a day. Reason I'm asking is that if the guy is willing to redo the Huper, he can just add it behind the photosync. It will save me the expense of adding a second layer out of my pocket. Paid a lot to have all this done haha.

I'll try to add some pics soon to show what I am talking about.

TL;DR: Will the properties of a second layer of tint (reflectiveness and/or ghosting) show through the first layer of tint?

Here's how my car looked like before. Pinnacle 35 in the front, 05 in the back:

293065a9c6e1c39f2752400fe314dc53_zpsv31q

Here's a pic of Pinnacle 35 in front, Huper Ceramic 05 in the rear:

IMG_20160806_201249_zpsxzd22kp4.jpg

Here's Photosync 35 in front, Huper 05 rear:

IMG_20160906_172734_zpseya6ork6.jpg

And here's some shots of the ghosting with Huper Ceramic 05 on the back windshield:

IMG_20160813_122346_zpspb2uqrzg.jpg

IMG_20160813_122301_zpsx1cpxkqd.jpg

Edited by jteran5

Simple...just do Photosync all the way with a double layer on the rear with 35. It will be roughly around 10% when it is lighter and roughly around 6% when it is darker. Any other option might not match up as well.

I think within direct light, it will darken to a 10%, no?

Simple...just do Photosync all the way with a double layer on the rear with 35. It will be roughly around 10% when it is lighter and roughly around 6% when it is darker. Any other option might not match up as well.

I think within direct light, it will darken to a 10%, no?

On the vehicle it will be roughly 32% at it's lightest.  At it's darkest, it will be roughly 26%.  This is why there is no warranty on the 35% shade...it is illegal in all states due to the photochromic properties dropping below legal.  The 32% on top of 32% will be roughly 10% in the end and the 26% on top of 26% will be roughly 6%.  That is rough measurements.  Once the photochromic properties expire, you will probably be in the 28-29% range making it come to 7-8%.

Edited by DynamicAppearance

I just don't see spending the money on two layers of ceramic. I would just talk to the shop and see what they think would be the best option to achieve what you're wanting.

Reckless does a lot of double layer of Crystalline 40 in CA.  I can't wait til the Crystalline 20 is out...that will be a good seller.