Cheap tinters... wtf!

Just had a chap call me up for a quote, we charge 'X' amount for the particular model for all rear windows. He told me he's been quoted 'X' amount (half we charge) else where (only 20 minute drive away). How do you compete with this? That's absolutely crazy, why cheapen tinting for everyone else in your area? Keep your prices up and everyone benefits, surely?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love it.

I get them calling and saying the same thing and my answer is always the same. " That's where I would go, when you are ready to have it redone, give me a call and add 130 for removal, I get the opportunity to redo a lot of their cars". Then they ask when they can get in...lol

Cheers

We make sure we know all the pricing/films of our competitors.  So if a customer says X price, I will know if it is BS or not...remember they could be lying just to see if you will drop your price.  So I would suggest calling the shop as a customer to get a quote on a similar vehicle.

We make sure we know all the pricing/films of our competitors. So if a customer says X price, I will know if it is BS or not...remember they could be lying just to see if you will drop your price. So I would suggest calling the shop as a customer to get a quote on a similar vehicle.

Good idea! I'm hoping no one around here is pricing as low as they said they were quoted. Crazy.

Tell them "that's good to know so I can send other people to them that can't afford our quality!"

I second knowing what others are charging. I personally like to stop in and chat with them occasionally if free. No such thing as a competitor in my eyes, just another person doing what I do.

we are in a death spiral.

Most tinters didn't manage to hike their price in our trade in the past ten years despite higher rentals and costs.

:yeah  Exactly.   :bingo

We should have been raising prices little by little over the past ten years.  Then we would be right in line with the cost of product and overhead these days.   :twocents

If we had raised the prices $20-$40 per unit(basic 4 door car) per year, then we would be right where we need to be right now. AND - $600 to $800 for a ceramic tint job wouldn't sound like such a high price to our customers, and we would still be making the type of money we should be.  Not having to undercut ourselves because of the hack shop down the street ruining our professional reputation.  

post-28358-0-74675400-1449080875.gif

I'm glad I got in on the heyday in the 80s. When you charged $300 for the caravan back then, that was some serious money. Today I charge $300 for a caravan, granted it does take me half the time now with better techniques, etc. and experience but it's still shocking how shop rates on fixing a car has doubled since then.

That's right tintwizard. Me and my wife were just talking this morning about the prices of film went up since the 80's but the cost of the job remained the same or lower.

Those of us with 30 plus years have spent years trying to cleanup the reputation the wannabes put out jumping into it and disappearing after a summer.

If you are new to the film industry and read Tintdude forum, do yourselves a favor and take your time and learn this great trade,

once you are comfortable and do good work, you will be appreciated anywhere (except dealerships). This trade is an art excelling through artist.

If you can only use a plotter and afraid to learn the fine art of hand cutting, thank you and keep up the good work, then I don't have to worry about losing the yacht, home and commercial work too you.

Cheers

Almost forgot, the vehicles when your internet crashes. Thank you

Archived