been doing some new car research

Guest MungMan

Guest MungMan

I have been researching some new cars for awhile now and tonight I looked up some information about the new Mazda RX-8. I checked out Edmunds, MSN Autos and a few RX-8 forums (not that I can afford a $25K-30K car) but I like how it looks and I wanted to know more about it. Anyway something must wrong with Ford/Mazda if they actually think this car is going to survive. That new 2 rotary engine is weak. 238HP at the engine/rotors but only 190 to the rear wheels (over 19% loss of power to the drive train)? And the torque is worse then that of a ricer Honda, only 159 lb feet of torque at the engine/rotors and around 131 lb feet at the rear wheels. Owners are complaining about having to add oil every time you need gas, and the RX-8 is getting gas mileage in the 14-18 mpg range. The HP number drop off even more if you opt for an automatic. Even with all of this small, light weight engine technology the car still weights around 3100 lbs. At least it looks fast. zoom zoom :rollin:rollin

Guest thetintshop

I used to have an RX-7. yes, those rotary engines use oil, but it's worth it. very well made engines. I know a couple people have them and love them. no, they aren't a super car, but what do you expect? they aren't a $50,000 car.

Guest MungMan
I used to have an RX-7. yes, those rotary engines use oil, but it's worth it. very well made engines. I know a couple people have them and love them. no, they aren't a super car, but what do you expect? they aren't a $50,000 car.

Im not saying it should be a super car but 190HP to the wheels and 14-18 mpg, how is that a very well built engine, seems very inefficent? The RX-7's had turbo rotarys and made a lot more power and torque then the RX-8. Who knows maybe Mazda will someday offer a twin turbo version of the RX-8 but I dought it.

I've always been a fan of rotary engines. The rx-8 is a bad ass looking george jetson ride. I would still take a (as you call a :hmmm ) rotary instead of a regular inline 4 cylinder civic ricer engine (fartbox :nope )

oophs I forgot about the nitrous on the 4 cylinder. :hmmm

Guest MungMan
actually I have heard rumors about a quad turbo twin rotary RX-7 they may be coming out with... That would be AWESOME!!!

quad turbo!!! :DD that would be awesome and would help get some torque to those rear wheels.

Archived