Lexus LS 430

I've got to do a LS 430 thismorning, I do a lot of Lexus's, but this one is really the hardest one. Does anybody else have trouble with the front passenger glass peeling? There is some sort of built in rain x on the glass which lets nothing stick to the window. The gasket is very tight. Latley I've been taking off the door panel just on that side, and removing the rivets holding in the gasket to remove it. This takes very long, does anybody have any other suggestions.

I got a news letter from llumar once in regards to the rain x or whatever they call it on a Lexus. Don't remember which one, but there is one that most films won't adheir to. When my rep gets into work in a couple hours I'll check into it.

Guest metint

Some Lexus ( and other vehicle) models have what is known as a titanium dioxide coating on the front D & P glass. At least that is what is stated on the patent filed for this concept.

This coating when exposed to o2/UV/h2o (found in the atmosphere, duh) causes a high energy flux, repelling anything on its surface. Self cleaning, defog, etc. It's a safety feature so drivers have unobstructed view of their outside rearview mirrors, as well as the ability to use the side windows without fogging up.

You'll know it the minute you spray moisture on the glass... it'll immediately bead up. In time this coating will destroy a film's pressure sensitive adhesive. Sometimes you'll see an immediate challenge with the film fingers not wanting to stick well, other times the consumer returns with the film falling away from the glass or has easily peeled up.

LLuLLu issued a tech warning on this subject 2-3 years ago indicating that if the vehicle had this coating present on its glass surface, the film would not be warrantied.

Strangely enough the second go 'round tinting stays in place because it is suspected that while the coating destroys the adhesive, the coating is destroyed as well. :lol

Gasket wizards, so you don't have to take off those panels. Normaly we get fingers that come off of the thick defroster lines. Just heat them up a push then down. F1 film seems to stick to the front windows just fine so far.

Guest Sprinter

I also remember a memo from llumar in a news letter stating that to get rid of this coating is to buff it by hand with a car polish untill it's all off the windows then the tint will stick to it fine, however it could take 30 minutes on one window to do this so beware that you should charge more for this and I would let the customer choose wheather they want this material taken off their windows.

if it was me I would send them down the road and say that you can't tint this car plus no warranty.

I would check the window first by spraying it with your solution to see if it's on there to begin with.

Guest metint
I also remember a memo from llumar in a news letter stating that to get rid of this coating is to buff it by hand with a car polish untill it's all off the windows then the tint will stick to it fine, however it could take 30 minutes on one window to do this so beware that you should charge more for this and I would let the customer choose wheather they want this  material taken off their windows.

if it was me I would send them down the road and say that you can't tint this car plus no warranty.

I would check the window first by spraying it with your solution to see if it's on there to begin with.

Had to be no-brains at the distributor level... I remember the remedy was not to be found or put in writing. The one thing I do know about CPF as a company... they will not instruct anyone to modify or destroy any automotive component in order to tint the windows.

Archived