CT 4000+sf lots of windows, need energy savings

Just moved to CT from NYC into a big house with lots and lots of windows. The heat turns on and off every few minutes, its getting ridiculous already. Of course we would want to reduce cooling costs in the summer as well.

We had a small apt in NYC with floor to ceiling windows (nearly 200sf of windows vs just over 600sf apartment size), there was a great deal on the gila film from lowes (nearly free vs retail price, lol) a while back and I applied it to all the windows and it made a huge difference, it pretty much cut our electric bill in half.

I'm sure by now there are better films, perhaps not as mirror-like as the gila I used before, that would provide even better insulation.

Can you guys point me in the right direction for which films would be low reflective and provide great insulation for heating and cooling in the Northeast?

I doubt we would do a professional installation. From what I've researched it starts at like $5 /sf but all of the windows are panel windows on the interior, mostly 10-lite, but single pane on the exterior, at least they are double pane, and total is about 700-800sf of windows, 500sf just on the first floor... I know it will be a pain in the butt doing all these panel windows, but we gotta do something and I've got time...

I felt as if the gila film heated up the windows in the winter on sunny days, which made a huge difference in our electric bill... (film was warm, vs windows without film were ice cold, and they were double pane gas filled...) And even in the summer, they kept the cool in even though they were slightly warm on sunny days...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be the first one to jump in here!

A professional flat glass installer can best solve your glass problems with the appropriate film.

If you buy factory seconds at a big box store and 50% of your windows break, you will regret it.

Sure the PRICE may seem higher, but the long term Costs will be less.

Take it from someone who has been in the Glass and Film Biz since 1974.

Why would the glass break? They are all panel windows. each sheet would be about 9"x10". Wouldn't such smaller pieces greatly reduce the risk of breakage? If I had to get an installer to do it, most likely because of the amount of work (since they are all panel windows) they would charge like $10/sf, at 700-800sf it would not be worth doing (would take 10+ years to actually pay off), and even so I'm the type of person who has to do it himself to make sure its done right... even at $5/sf its not worth doing.

I looked up my lowes order for the gila platinum, it was $15.24 for a 60sf roll. that's just over $0.25 a sf. It paid off within a month or 2, lol.

We are in Mass, First things first.. Do not use a cheap DIY film on 7-800 SF of glass. .. if you think installing 800 SF is time consuming and difficult.. wait till you have to scrape off that fil in a couple of years. .. That said, There are a few films on the market that help "insulate" your existing windows. VEP is the most widely known. However, it is absolutely NOT a DIY product. On another note, we have run numerous ROI scinarios with many different low E films and the payback on residential is typically.... a very looooooog time. If you are happy with having a comfort benefit as your ROI, than a Low E film can help with that.

Why would the glass break? They are all panel windows. each sheet would be about 9"x10". Wouldn't such smaller pieces greatly reduce the risk of breakage? If I had to get an installer to do it, most likely because of the amount of work (since they are all panel windows) they would charge like $10/sf, at 700-800sf it would not be worth doing (would take 10+ years to actually pay off), and even so I'm the type of person who has to do it himself to make sure its done right... even at $5/sf its not worth doing.

I looked up my lowes order for the gila platinum, it was $15.24 for a 60sf roll. that's just over $0.25 a sf. It paid off within a month or 2, lol.

You are right, the glass breakage is reduced, however, if you have insulated glass, then you have seal failure.

If you have DS glass, then you need a four seasons film such as TomTom suggested.

The film you mentioned is factory seconds, they don't expect it to be successfully installed. most of it will go in the trash can. you would be wasting your money.

Wooden divided lite windows are very difficult.

Only you know what your time is worth, but if your expecting a quality job in a timely fashion, you don't know what you don't know!

I hire out my lawn service because my time is more valuable than $12 an hour.

We are in Mass, First things first.. Do not use a cheap DIY film on 7-800 SF of glass. .. if you think installing 800 SF is time consuming and difficult.. wait till you have to scrape off that fil in a couple of years. .. That said, There are a few films on the market that help "insulate" your existing windows. VEP is the most widely known. However, it is absolutely NOT a DIY product. On another note, we have run numerous ROI scinarios with many different low E films and the payback on residential is typically.... a very looooooog time. If you are happy with having a comfort benefit as your ROI, than a Low E film can help with that.

What is so special about it that its not DIY? Its just window film/tint, not complicated at all... Anyways, I've read about the enerlogic film a few times, how does it compare to the ceramic films for keeping heat inside during winter months? How do I buy some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJmgBIp2SA

is this how a pro does it? I think I did a better job myself, it looks exactly the same as the day I did it 3 years ago using cheap Gila Platinum.

1. Factory edges are never great to use, the glue tends to dry out there and the cut will never line up with any window, the edges were bouncing around in the box and have micro dirt on them and will curl and peel eventually.

2. Cleaning was too quick, especially for the edges and he missed some spots.

3. I bet his cuts were not perfect, he cut the whole length wayyyy too fast, eventually those edges will curl and peel or you will see an outline around the window where the film meets the frame...

Lets be honest, many people call themselves professionals, but there is nothing professional about what they do. But once in a while you do come across someone who is a true professional, is up to date on the best products and procedures and does the job great, but be serious, that is rare.

I may sound like a prick but its just the harsh truth. When I do things I like to make sure its done once and done right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22QdNHtb_8

This guy did a better job, except for the 1/16" gap that will actually be very visible. There are tools to get no gap at all.

I'd be much better off doing it myself and taking my time, unless you want me to pay you $12/hour and do it like I want it done, heh.

So where can I order this stuff? Or do I need to sign up as a dealer?

Ceramic is a pretty broad term and way too technical for this conversation.

Enerlogic will keep out over 75% of the Solar Energy in the warm seasons.

It will keep over 90% of your very expensive heat from being sucked outside in the cold seasons.

No "Ceramic" nor any Gila film will even compare.

Enerlogic is an exclusive product thru the Vista Program and has the best ROI.

With your blustery winters, doing nothing will be an expensive option.

What is so special about it that its not DIY? Its just window film/tint, not complicated at all... Anyways, I've read about the enerlogic film a few times, how does it compare to the ceramic films for keeping heat inside during winter months? How do I buy some?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJmgBIp2SA

is this how a pro does it? I think I did a better job myself, it looks exactly the same as the day I did it 3 years ago using cheap Gila Platinum.

1. Factory edges are never great to use, the glue tends to dry out there and the cut will never line up with any window, the edges were bouncing around in the box and have micro dirt on them and will curl and peel eventually.

2. Cleaning was too quick, especially for the edges and he missed some spots.

3. I bet his cuts were not perfect, he cut the whole length wayyyy too fast, eventually those edges will curl and peel or you will see an outline around the window where the film meets the frame...

Lets be honest, many people call themselves professionals, but there is nothing professional about what they do. But once in a while you do come across someone who is a true professional, is up to date on the best products and procedures and does the job great, but be serious, that is rare.

I'd be much better off doing it myself and taking my time, unless you want me to pay you $12/hour and do it like I want it done, heh.

So where can I order this stuff? Or do I need to sign up as a dealer?

When I read this on my phone, I only read the first part of your dissertation.

Sounds like you got it figured out.

Good luck, hope you gleaned something out of this

Ceramic is a pretty broad term and way too technical for this conversation.

Enerlogic will keep out over 75% of the Solar Energy in the warm seasons.

It will keep over 90% of your very expensive heat from being sucked outside in the cold seasons.

No "Ceramic" nor any Gila film will even compare.

Enerlogic is an exclusive product thru the Vista Program and has the best ROI.

With your blustery winters, doing nothing will be an expensive option.

http://www.enerlogicfilm.com/home-use/overview

here it says it will save me 5% on heating costs. Where did you get 90%?

I hope you can appreciate the fact that I have absolutely nothing to gain from continuing this conversation.

All I was trying to do was to enlighten you to the technology that exists with products such as Enerlogic and how they could greatly benefit your situation.

The 90% that I was referring, has to do with Emissivity. Thats the "E" in the term "LowE"

You may save more than 5% in heating cost depending on how much DS glass you have.

Archived