60" film plotter for 15 mill

I'm gonna drop the $20k and buy one. Any suggestions on use? I thought to let it cut the pattern twice or even 3 times as it is faster than hand cutting and the software can handle the image overlay technique.

Metint, can your boys and girls make a thicker liner or one with a grid and 12" indications? or both? It shore is hard to keep those panes square by hand on that thick stuff.

I'm gonna drop the $20k and buy one. Any suggestions on use? I thought to let it cut the pattern twice or even 3 times as it is faster than hand cutting and the software can handle the image overlay technique. 

Metint, can your boys and girls make a thicker liner or one with a grid and 12" indications? or both? It shore is hard to keep those panes square by hand on that thick stuff.

is the Same as Using the Film Handler. can the FIlm Hander PErform as the Plotter when used for Commercial JOBs. :thumb

Guest TintPoser

I can't see the practical use for a ploter for S&S. Just use a Filmhandler. Even beter for 3 factory edges-----Olfa in the box. (My Filmhandler has a hard time with anyting over 12)

Guest metint

TC...

Filmhandler cannot handle 15 mil, the slots on the cuuters are not wide enough. Their words, when I called and asked. And... I've not heard of any success in plotter cutting 15mil...7-8mil at best.

CPF has available a discussion on using a ceramic cutting device, precise measurements for fitting square and out-of-square window glass areas and the use of portable tables for cutting thick gage film.

If you don't have access to the LLuLLu tech site, call your authorized distributor for the password. If they are of not help PM me and I'll see that you get the documents. :thumb

Metint,

Thanks, I have the passwords. Here is the deal. We need a system to not only cut tighter (read faster) but also control on paper the cut sheet plan for reference. I absolutely resist going into another big project with sheets of all sizes in clear without a paper trail and the piece number on the tint also. You misplace one then wonder where it goes. If tinters were managers we wouldn't have a problem, but a lot of the guys I hire can't handle the organization on the large jobs and tint also. I need to give them support, what they need when they need where they need it. Doing all this like chinese laborers works, but I do believe we are close to a better system with the cutters. I think a plotter, cutting a piece twice or three times is reasonable, they can replicate the same cut with high precision. Most people think they should cut once and it be successful. Possible, but not with the thin backing currently used for its cheap cost. I would pay more for the film if it helped me instead of fought me. I observe many trades in the construction business "scoring" multiple cuts to maintain accuracy of cut through the use of less pressure and will try to replicate that technique with the plotter. And the MAJORITY of windows on these jobs do not have opportunity to use multiple factory edges. We have to cut, one side at the time, squaring each time, where a visible square grid at least means we don't even have to spin the film. At the cost of labor on these jobs, is the factory blind to the excessive labor cost imposed by antiquated methods like that little ceramic cutter? I felt like I was a wooden ship builder on the last job, shaving planks with tools the romans used. Clamping and moving the film to get the edge of the film to the cutting edge of the glass is a pain in the butt. Why not let a tech guy spend about one week with a new design cutter head or something? Oh by the way, I read deep into the specs on this new job and they say .01 thickness minimum plus tests. Sounds like 11 mil to me, not 14 unless they specified it additionally elsewhere that I haven't read yet. And one other thing while I have your ear, what the heck is only one attachment system doing on the site? And it is for a 90 degree immediate edge to the glass which I almost never see. What about flat frame edges? Make a 45 degree pyramid of 995? Pretty :lol6 Oh yeah, don't forget about single or double hung windows. How in the world are they to open when sealed on all four edges?

I can mill out the handler cutting heads to make them work. We have one just for security films so no problem. I bet with no metal content the double cutting works, but those pressure settings are going to be wildly tricky as the blade dulls. The specs call for 1/8 inch gaps from the frame when daylight applications are called for, and this is the Army corp spec.

Thanks for the assists

Guest metint

:thumb That was a mouthful of what the hey are you doing on that job...

I can identify with the logistics of a large project... only one under my belt at 35,ooo sq ft. Wow... what an eye opener.

I'll pass your recommendation about the cutter on the plotter. Maybe in the blade only... :lol

:thumb

Archived