Many of you will be installing that "Home Depot' brand called

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will always be DIYers and people willing to take advantage of their ignorance.

I don't think you are going to have a bunch of folks calling tint shops to install DIY film they just bought, more likely they will try it themselves, have issues and regret it, then call a pro for an estimate. :dunno

I don't think much will change. You'll have DIY people buying the film and trying to install it themselves... Not your ideal client. If Solyx is going to be selling their films that are as thick as a shower curtain, they are even harder to install for pros let alone homeowners.

Bottom line - I don't see it being much of an issue.

You?

Personally if Llumar or 3M began selling their film brands in HD, I'd find a new brand. 

I like to think there is exclusivity to some degree with the window films I offer. While I realize a DIYer could buy solyx online, they needed to pay an arm and a leg for it, now I doubt the price of the film in stores will reflect the same pricing structure online.

Didn't 3M have a line at Walmart at some point?  As said above, it won't really matter.  Plus, who said it will be their normal line, might be a cheaper version geared to DIY'ers.  Like I said before, if 3M did it, it would probably be their Standard with is junk...no dealer would carry it.  I don't even carry their FX line since it is not color stable and most likely reboxed.

Depending on what sizes and films this could be a great thing for us. It allows people to find out how easy it isn't.

We have had multiple walk in DIY homeowners and Contractors purchase Deco films from us. I've heard tons of variants of "I've seen videos" or I'm handy " ," I can do anything". Give them heads up that purchases are no warranty and no returns.

I also warn that the learning curve is steep . Recommend buying 3 times what they say they need.

One of my faves was an "I can do anything"contractor that bought 21 feet of Fasara ML for a 7' x3' glass door. I caught him rolling his eyes while I went over the basic instructions. He came back an hour later BEGGING for us to rescue him because he blew all the film in front of his client. He found out that our minimum charge is not so bad after all.

Not every client fouls up the work so quickly but we do get lots of "I tried it and failed " clients out of the DIY end of things.

Another contractor  has done the same bathroom SIX times so far and had all kind of reasons why the previous attempts had to be replaced. He refused my efforts to have us deal with the film every time.

Its not that I want to gloat over someones failure. I've just seen to many times people with zero time with film in their hands thinking they can install film because they have internet access and a credit card.

Archived