BG Shrinking, Tiny Bubbles. Newbie.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the awesome tips! I am going to try everything you have all recommended. 

At the moment I am using the Traditional H pattern to secure the film to BG. That is how I was shown from my first day of shrinking. Any other ways you would recommend. 

Also, should I ditch the dryer sheets in favor of regular bar soap? I am scared of baby powder but I know it can work too.

I know there is a lot of different techniques out there when it comes to shrinking. I am just trying to find a system and get it down to improve quality of the shrink and to speed up the process. 

Sometimes there seems to be too many options lol. Experience is everything though. That's why you guys are the pros.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got away from the H anchor when I was doing cars, typically I would just anchor in the middle (or higher/lower depending on the glass) and leave my sides floating. Since I used soap for my shrink I could anchor a side if I needed to contain a finger. I always felt it gave a little more room to play with the film if you don't anchor those sides. :dunno

I got away from the H anchor when I was doing cars, typically I would just anchor in the middle (or higher/lower depending on the glass) and leave my sides floating. Since I used soap for my shrink I could anchor a side if I needed to contain a finger. I always felt it gave a little more room to play with the film if you don't anchor those sides. :dunno

I've seen that done with good results. going to give it a go later today.

Why did you get out of tinting cars?

Became too much of a hassle and it was the least profitable. I'm a one man show when it comes to the tinting so I was bouncing between the resi/commercial FG work, shades/blinds and auto tinting. On top of that I regularly help out with our window/door/construction division. Something had to go and the most obvious thing was the Auto. So happy I gave it up but I do miss being able to close the bay doors, crank up the music and get work done in my own little world.

Became too much of a hassle and it was the least profitable. I'm a one man show when it comes to the tinting so I was bouncing between the resi/commercial FG work, shades/blinds and auto tinting. On top of that I regularly help out with our window/door/construction division. Something had to go and the most obvious thing was the Auto. So happy I gave it up but I do miss being able to close the bay doors, crank up the music and get work done in my own lit

yeah the music is the best part. Just jamming out and working!

Many people are scared of Baby powder or have switched to dryer sheet or soap.  Powder for me was faster and more control of the shrink.  same result,  if you lift and wet the film after you shrink it, will look the same as my powder does.

I'm going to give it a try tonight. I like the wet check. It's an extra step, but me struggling with a bad shrink is way worse.

This may sound weird, but I've tested this theory. I've come to learn in my opinion that this happens when I put the dryer sheet residue on too heavy. I've tried it mulipal ways and started paying attention to how much I put on the window. I've also noticed that this happens sometimes if I let the residue sit for to long before I put the film on to shrink it. It may sound dumb but trust me, and try it. Don't put it on thick and as soon as it completely dries all over place your film and shrink the rear, I shrink the rear between sides. I prep my sides and before I lay the first window I set the rear, normally on a 4 door, it's dry by the time I get to it so I lay and shrink the rear then move to the other side. Try it

Hardly n/ever a crease with powder and a glove and way faster than letting soap or dryer sheets dry and i know a torch is faster yet but i use a heatgun

Most car rear glass is all done in 15-20mins total

And no H pattern most of the time/just a swipe accross the middle

Archived