Window tint training.

Has anyone started a tinting school or trained people to tint? Have local guys wanting me to train them. One guy is ready now with money in hand. Yes, i know they could eventually be competition. If anyone has, I'm curious about what you charged. I might be able to get a few bad rolls of film to use for the training. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lots tint classes. Flatrockstan Stan Foster is one of the top.

I think the classes he does are $1500 but that is a very well oiled 1 week class. Also Global will give 10% of film orders until the cost is recouped.

The way I interpreted is you're asking if you should train. In my experience I paid a guy here a third of the price previously mentioned to train me. I feel like I'm an exception and actually made it. 90% probably will not ever do anything with it. I guess it's a calculated risk that you take. You can make x off of them now and they may never do anything with it, or you could lose 1000's later down the road.

I used to teach a one week class back in the 80's.  yes you can learn to tint in a week but getting proficient in tint takes about a year for the average student.  I try and find a student with some experience or aptitude for tint and request a one year agreement.  lose a little in the training process preferably in the slow months then make it up during season.  Professional ethics is another quality, someone who will not try to steal your accounts. 

I never did understand window tint in Michigan.  Here there are many franchises or chains that carry many aftermarket automobile accessories and most replace auto glass and detail.   As they hire rookies in, if they show promise as a long term employee,  they train in the various areas of the business.  By diversifying the crews talents with cross training you can better handle the peaks and slumps in the different seasons of the product lines.   I find it strange most have detail experience, trained in glass and even 12volt accessories but each shop has only one tinter or sub contract it out.  Good for me I guess, I offer my services if they overbook or the tinter quits, calls in sick or any other reason they are stuck.  Shady Tints does not discriminate,  we will take any ones  money.

Archived