XPEL and CQuartz looking for personal experience

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately though no matter what film you are installing as far as I am concerned it is still a waste of time effort product and money to apply ceramic under film. The ceramic is there to protect the paint and make cleaning easier then you go and slap some sticky back plastic over it and totally nullify the reasons for applying the coating in the first place. apply the final finish over the film then the different protective coatings are working in synergy. 

Even paint correcting is a waste of time as the film will hide any swirl marks or holograms and if ever the film is removed the paint will need some attention then, so I would fit the film attend to the remaining exposed paint and then apply the final finish.

Steve

respectfully, you couldn't be more wrong. Even the name tells you what it is .."Paint Protection Film" it is there to protect the paint and is sacrificial... when a person is done with it and decides to remove the film and replace or sell the car, once you take the film off you have pristine paint underneath. The sole purpose of the film is to protect the paint underneath, the fact that over the years we have made great strides to make it less noticeable is even better for the industry. the film is not there to beautify. Properly installed over any coating makes the film install easier, leaves better results and in the eventual removal adds to the process.  As a UPS driver, i constantly had people complain about the box that something came in gets beat up, so what? it protected the contents as it should, you didn't buy a box, you bought the contents. in my opinion people have lost site of the intent of the product, now as a business standpoint, when the film does its job and gets beat to death, but the paint is still good underneath, you have proven 100% the value of the product and its intended use...

To be fair Rob did say that he had trimmed the edges first, as far as removing film or more importantly lifting paint, during my years as a ppf installer I have lifted paint on several occasions using every technique from warming and lifting slowly to ripping off quickly and in my experience paint will lift whatever you do. If paint lifts it shows a weakness in the adhesion of the paint more than the removal technique.

Having said that, and thinking about the whole sealant under film issue, I do have a few questions.

1. If the film adhesion isn't that great is there not a greater chance of the film bubbling if struck by a stone or similar.

2. Do the snowfoam washes that detailers are using nowadays not creep in from the edges / corners not wrapped.

3. I do agree with Pacific about the added issues when you need the film to tack on complicated panels.

Steve

Rob,

I just watched your video on facebook.

1. It shows a major weaken of the films adhesion. Which will be a problem when installing harder panels and wrapping edges.

2. It shows you don't wrap edges which is a novice quality.

3. It shows a improper way of removing film which may increase the chance of paint peeling.

Again respectfully, I disagree, after 22 years I have removed film every possible way, from the old hard scotchgard to the newest, best and most cheapest film out there. the best technique I have found is the "snap". there was absolutely 100% no weakening of any adhesive, I pre-trimmed all the wrapped edges the same as i would on any car that had wrapped edges, novice huh? regardless of whether the film had coating under it, as I said I have done hundreds of cars with coatings under them and have had no lifts whatsoever. actually cars with coating generally have cleaner edges as the car has been corrected and then the film bonds better.

Rob you are giving bad advice here. I did an install at a dealer and I wasn't informed that they had applied one of their nasa rocket booster sealants prior to my install.

The next day the service writer calls me complaining that there are marks throughout the film. When I got there it looked like a cancer spread throughout the adhesive.

So I redid the install after polishing the areas to remove the sealant they applied and it had no issues after that.

Paint should be squeaky clean before applying any PPF.

I use a microfiber and alcohol to prep all of edges before wrapping so the fact that your car was polished and coated prior to the install means nothing. If you're wrapping edges they need to be prepped regardless.

how is it bad advice when it works? other installers that I know and have given the advice love it, manufacturers from ppf companies as well as coatings companies have watched me install and agree..I figured it out, surely others can. Dealer coatings like cilajet and auto shield or paint butler have never been a problem either...  squeaky clean paint is the way to headache. I cant speak for what you ran into, but there is no reason why film cant be put on over ceramic pro, Cquartz or Gtechniq.. you are free to do as you wish..

Archived