New shop, too many choices.

Ok, I'm risking a permaban for posting here but.....

Thick skin is the name of the game, if you can't last a few posts up here on the tinterweb it makes wonder how well you'll fair in the tint world :krazy

No thin skin here brother. The hate and d' bouchery comment was ment in a sarcastic manner. Trust me, i found it more comedic more than anything. All is good on this end.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He called us names and left....

Nah, this was literally just the first chance i had to jump on the computer all weekend. Again that comment was ment in a sarcastic fashion. I honestly appreciate blunt answers. only thing i took exception to was being accused of bait and switch. That was total bullshit. I addressed and its over with now.

Your highest end line should be a very reputable brand imo, some people just don't understand and will still thing the 3m cs is better because it's 3m

Exactly, doesn't matter if it is actually better not, the consumer will assume it is better.  If you are going use the name to draw people in then make sure that name is the most expensive you got because they will pay for it.

Guest Metro Films

I think you need to go back to the drawing board.  First, 3M FX is NOT color stable nor does the warranty cover it.  So you plan on offering a better quality film for less and they will pay more for a less quality film.  Second, 3M is not going to sell just one line to you and they stay on top of the people trying to use their name.  I became a dealer for 3M last year, and they were all over us to make sure we are actually pushing the film.  Even if you BS them to get the line like saying you will be offering all lines, they will quickly pull the product when your ordering doesn't add up.  Yes, that can be considered bait and switch as you are using a brand name to draw people in, but then pushing them to another brand.  Plus you carrying 3M and being a new shop will not mean much since there are 1-2 established 3M dealers already...I wouldn't go to you based on that alone.  You are much better off just offering SolarFX for the whole lineup.

Well said Dynamic [emoji106]

On 1/20/2017 at 2:31 PM, Soldier_Tint said:

So by your thought process, Mercedes Benz is bait and switch also? They do offer a C Class, E Calss and S Calss to fall within the individuals budget?

No, they are all Mercedes. If a Mercedes Benz dealership was using just the C class to advertise the name then had kia & BMW that they tried to sell once you arrived at the dealership.... bait Mercedes......switch kia/bmw.......   bait 3m........ switch SolarFX. Any manny of film will have all the price options you are looking for to fit in the budget of your customers.

You said you found a niche, what is it?

If you want to start your own shop that is great but first think of a few things.....1. Do you know how to tint more than 10 car models at least? 2. Can you afford to compete with other tint shops in your area? 3. Are you ready to deal with the fact that anything and everything can and will be blamed on the window tint?  Second of all my personal experience is to not even carry a "entry level" film.  If you want to be successful carry good to better films only.  I only carry lifetime films and the reason is if you sell a customer a 5 year film it will eventually fail and when that customer is at a friends house and his film looks like crap do you honestly think he will tell his friends that he was a cheap ass and wanted your cheapest film? NO!!!! But you can bet on him telling his friends the shop that did it! Research your films and ask tons of questions.  Talk to film reps about other films, talk to tinters, get samples and see what you like.  Every tinter has their own personal preference on film choice so try them all.  Stay away from cheap films or your shop will fail based on quality.  In this industry focus on a quality product and more importantly a quality install.  Don't worry so much about a name brand film cause if your name gets around good quality you will succeed.  When your customer calls or shows up educate them tell them your film benefits and be confident about it.  This forum is a wealth of knowledge and yes there are some very sarcastic people here that will troll you but hey thats life deal with it and educate yourself before trying to educate others.

Archived