Several Tint Offers...Help Me Choose the RIght One! :)

Hello tintdude members,

Let me start off by saying that this is the first time I am going to have my windows tinted so I am both excited and cautious at the moment. I've been asking around local tint shops about what kind of tints/films (no idea how to differentiate between the two, sorry) they carried and price estimates, and have been given several options.

Now, because I am new at this, my only knowledge about window tints comes from online research. 

What I have been offered:

Madico Charcool $250 4 doors

3M Fx Premium $200 4 doors (also offered crystalline, but did not give me a price)

Solar Gard Galaxie $300 4 doors + back windshield

Llumar ATC $275 4 doors

Llumar CTX $395 4 doors

My #1 priority in looking for a tint is fading over time. I intend to keep my car long term so I am looking for a film that will not fade. I have read online that carbon and ceramic films do not fade, but dye films do. I guess I am unsure as to whether any of the films mentioned above are dye or carbon/ceramic.

Thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All films will fail eventually even the ones listed. The statement that dyed films do not last is just not true. Carbon is a buzz word that's going around now to get the customers attention and draw them to a film. Guess how most of them get their color, dye. Same thing with the ceramic film as well. You'll want a film that has a color stable warranty, which means it's guaranteed to not change color or face. Most importantly find a shop that's going to stand behind their work. I personally would stay away from 3m fx as it's not color stable. If I'm in your shoes I ask around to my buddies find out if they've had and experience with the shops then look at their vehicle. :twocents

I'm a bit partial to Llumar ATC and CTX because that is what I sell, but I'm about 8 years in as a Llumar dealer and when I see cars in that I did work many years ago and they still look great, I can't help but say you won't be dissatisfied with the film's longevity.  We live in NM also which is a pretty rough environment for films.  If they hold up here, they will hold up just about anywhere.

6 hours ago, jh812 said:

All films will fail eventually even the ones listed. The statement that dyed films do not last is just not true. Carbon is a buzz word that's going around now to get the customers attention and draw them to a film. Guess how most of them get their color, dye. Same thing with the ceramic film as well. You'll want a film that has a color stable warranty, which means it's guaranteed to not change color or face. Most importantly find a shop that's going to stand behind their work. I personally would stay away from 3m fx as it's not color stable. If I'm in your shoes I ask around to my buddies find out if they've had and experience with the shops then look at their vehicle. :twocents

Thanks for your reply. I suppose my next question would be if you happen to know which of the films listed above are color stable?

Excluding the Fx premium offer, I've figured out that the other 3 offers all come from pretty reputable places, offer lifetime warranties, and one of them has been around for 4 years (llumar) and the other two have been around for 20+ years. 

Thanks!

14 hours ago, lijero13ss said:

Hello tintdude members,

Let me start off by saying that this is the first time I am going to have my windows tinted so I am both excited and cautious at the moment. I've been asking around local tint shops about what kind of tints/films (no idea how to differentiate between the two, sorry) they carried and price estimates, and have been given several options.

Now, because I am new at this, my only knowledge about window tints comes from online research. 

What I have been offered:

Madico Charcool $250 4 doors

3M Fx Premium $200 4 doors (also offered crystalline, but did not give me a price)

Solar Gard Galaxie $300 4 doors + back windshield

Llumar ATC $275 4 doors

Llumar CTX $395 4 doors

My #1 priority in looking for a tint is fading over time. I intend to keep my car long term so I am looking for a film that will not fade. I have read online that carbon and ceramic films do not fade, but dye films do. I guess I am unsure as to whether any of the films mentioned above are dye or carbon/ceramic.

Thanks!

As JH stated, remove 3M FX Series films as they are not color stable nor does the warranty cover it.  A good option from 3M would be their Carbon film called Color Stable.  Also as JH stated, all films will fade/fail over time no matter what you pay for them.  Most Carbon/Ceramic films contain dye, but you have to remember that there are different quality dyes.  If you want a completely dye free film, you can look into Huper Optik Performa or Ceramic.  Llumar ATC, CTX, and Madico Charcool are great films.  Me being biased I would say Llumar CTX or 3M Color Stable if it was my car.

2 hours ago, The ///Man said:

I'm a bit partial to Llumar ATC and CTX because that is what I sell, but I'm about 8 years in as a Llumar dealer and when I see cars in that I did work many years ago and they still look great, I can't help but say you won't be dissatisfied with the film's longevity.  We live in NM also which is a pretty rough environment for films.  If they hold up here, they will hold up just about anywhere.

Thanks for your input! So what would the main difference between ATC and CTX be? Just a general explanation would be great, primarily looking at durability and which one lasts longer before fading 

thanks 

48 minutes ago, lijero13ss said:

Thanks for your input! So what would the main difference between ATC and CTX be? Just a general explanation would be great, primarily looking at durability and which one lasts longer before fading 

thanks 

ATC is the standard film just for appearance and CTX is a Ceramic blocking a lot more heat.  CTX will last longer.

Archived