tail lights vinyl brands and ease of use

I bought r-vinyl years ago and it sucked. So pretty much I had a bad expierence with wrapping tail lights. I have been getting to many requests and just bought a roll of oracal light gray. Whats your take and do you remove tail lights of leave them on the car?

We have tried Lamin-X, Oracal 8300, along with imported brands and Oracal is the easiest by far.  We always leave the tail lights on, if you remove them then you have to find a way to hold them.  We use the edge of the light as a guide to trim...some people tuck a small amount.  As far as shrinking, we use a heat gun but some use a steamer with great results.  Light Gray is barely noticeable, the Dark Gray will be your #1 seller. Don't let them name fool you, it is more of a medium than dark.  I actually wished they had a darker film available for the people looking for a charcoal color.   After those the Brimestone Yellow is our next big seller for fog lights.  Not sure where you are buying, but USCutters.com is the cheapest pricing I have seen on Oracal.

I haven't tried Oracle, but I use Xpel regularly. The light is perfect for fronts. Looks like factory smoked lights. The dark isn't black out, but that's good because we get tickets alot around here for that. I always leave the lights on the vehicle. I heat it up with a heat gun before I even peel it from the backing. It's not as thick as Lamin X so it's much easier to use.

24 minutes ago, F150Chic said:

I haven't tried Oracle, but I use Xpel regularly. The light is perfect for fronts. Looks like factory smoked lights. The dark isn't black out, but that's good because we get tickets alot around here for that. I always leave the lights on the vehicle. I heat it up with a heat gun before I even peel it from the backing. It's not as thick as Lamin X so it's much easier to use.

Does it have the same stretch as PPF?  We have done some with the Llumar PPF and it was beautiful with the stretch, instantly get most fingers out.  How is the pricing on it compared to Lamin-X?

As previously stated the med grey is barely noticeable. I keep a small amount to show the customer. When they see it they almost always go to the darker one. I use a steamer and i take the lights out. I set up a clamp to hold them. I find it easier to install this way. Talking (oracal transparent) i also use a black metalic vinyl for cars with led tail lights

On 1/26/2017 at 10:36 AM, Crazydays01 said:

I bought r-vinyl years ago and it sucked. So pretty much I had a bad expierence with wrapping tail lights. I have been getting to many requests and just bought a roll of oracal light gray. Whats your take and do you remove tail lights of leave them on the car?

We Always remove them. If you dont you cant heat the vinyl around the edge into the body of the car. So with time, the vinyl will remove and fall off.

Think of it like when you are putting sheets on your mattress. If you do not lap it around the bottom, it easily gets rubbed and comes off. Similar concept here but with rain and car washing. It will lift off the vinyl from the edges. When you take them off you wrap well into the back of the taillights and no worries of them peeling off. Also makes your life so much easier to curve and heat up the material to get the shape of the taillight

Archived