Wrapping bare metal

I am working on some projects using 5mm MS steel plate in large irregular sizes. I am thinking to vinyl wrap these instead of powder coat painting the pieces. These pieces will stay indoors. 

I reading various posts regarding wrapping of bare or primered car surfaces there seems to be issues with unpainted surfaces being wrapped.  Since my projects will not be exposed to the eviromental elements,  can anyone give me any advice? Need and quality of pre-paint work?  Type and quality of vinyl? 

Thanks

On Tuesday, February 07, 2017 at 6:09 AM, palmettotint said:

I'd at least paint it with a coat of etching primer. Make no mistake, steel WILL rust underneath the film.

It would be better to spray a clear coat. The primer will have issues down the road. I've seen it a bunch of times where the film releases because the primer has a weak hold. 

Thanks for the suggestions and advise. I will eventually powder coat the machines when we have a finished working model. I was just thinking to wrap the prototype design for short term purposes as we need to do some additional drilling holes on the design model. 

11 hours ago, waxworkz said:

It would be better to spray a clear coat. The primer will have issues down the road. I've seen it a bunch of times where the film releases because the primer has a weak hold. 

Yeah, the clear adds surface energy. If it's in the time and money budget, do that on top of the etching primer. Make sure you stick with the same name brands on the clear and primer. I've seen mix-matched names do weird stuff to the finish when used together.

Archived