88 camaro wired defroster

Been in the industry 7 years and haven't seen any 80s camaros. I have an 88 I'm tinting tomorrow that has the wired defroster brackets in the window. I've never painted light gaps but I imagine it looks like shit, the madico sales rep recommended the film opaquer which  I think is ridiculous. Any recommendations on covering the large light gaps (tint,vinyl,paint). Also should I expect the tint to not want to lay clean and flush right up to the wired defroster?

When you cut it out,,, cut right up to the wire but not against it.  When you go to install it,, it will be smaller on the inside, so when you lay it out remember that. ( you might still have to trim some on the inside against the wire) 

You will have your choice of paint or tape or vinyl to try.  The gap on the other side of the wire is large.  Paint is usually the best way to go because it is easy to repair if messed up.  Tape and vinyl are hard to get just right.  

Good luck. :thumb2 

Disposable glass and frit primer works great.   I mask the glass off with a small line on the inside of the defroster line as well.  The solder points stick out over the frit on them most of the time.   

Mask all around it, paint with the primer, lay out the film wet and shrink the small amount that is needed. 

One thing to note is there is not much to shrink on these either. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, Bham said:

When you cut it out,,, cut right up to the wire but not against it.  When you go to install it,, it will be smaller on the inside, so when you lay it out remember that. ( you might still have to trim some on the inside against the wire) 

You will have your choice of paint or tape or vinyl to try.  The gap on the other side of the wire is large.  Paint is usually the best way to go because it is easy to repair if messed up.  Tape and vinyl are hard to get just right.  

Good luck. :thumb2 

:yeah I always went to the trouble of cutting a tint strip to fit on the outside of those danged braided wires.  :eyebrows I'm so glad I don't see those anymore although I did have a guy beg me the other day to do his 1981 Firebird.

Archived