Need help adding new film to my business.

Hello all, i wanted to add 2 new films to be able to offer to my costumers and need your expirienced help to determine what way to go.

A little background on my location and on my avarage clientele. I have a window tint business in Downtown LA, there are a total of 11 window tint businesses in my block alone and many more in the surrounding areas. The avarege client comes with the "They do it cheaper down the street" mentality. All shops here charge from $80 to $100 on all 4 door cars with some bullsh*t tint that will last 2 years max. But there are some costumers that really want better quality tint, unfortunately i couldnt offer that because I only carried the BS tint and they had to go to other stores where they claim to have 3M or Johnson's Window Film (the top known brands in LA) and they end up getting the same BS tint that is nowhere close to 3M. Yes i did warn them about these stores but they're desperate, seems like they don't care about the film they get as long as you tell them is Johnson or 3M they're happy.

I have decided to add better quality film for the coatumers that want better quality and Yelpers. 

Right now i carry SolarFree, their Nova line. It has a 5 year warranty but i noticed that after 2 years it starts turning purple. I was thinking of adding Carbon FX as the second best option and Johnson's Ceramic as the best since Johnson is very popular with people here in L.A. My doubt is wether to go with SolarFX or get SolarFree's carbon wich is more economic than SolarFx. 

SolarFree is pretty big here in LA, i was going to order their carbon this morning but was told that they had run out of SENTRY (carbon) because its in high demand right now that they're out of stock until tomorrow.

I took advantage of that to seek your help first before i order. Should i go with SolarFX a more pricey film yet better and popular among the tinting community but not with costumers and try to convince on why its better than SolarFree or should i go with Solarfree a more economic film that is Popular with tint shops and costumers here in LA? 

Dont forget that most of these costumers are cheap a holes but its understandable because most make the minimum if not less. 

Before i make the call tomorrow i would love to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

If you're going to give solar fx a try I've used the carbon for about a year now with no problems. If you're thinking if carrying a ceramic I like theirs as well. I've tried a sample of the IR stuff johnson's had a few years ago and didn't really care for it. If you're stuck at having to offer an entry line at 80-100 you could possibly still get their vintage line offer that as 2 year warranty carbon as lifetime and ceramic as premium :twocents

13 hours ago, jh812 said:

If you're going to give solar fx a try I've used the carbon for about a year now with no problems. If you're thinking if carrying a ceramic I like theirs as well. I've tried a sample of the IR stuff johnson's had a few years ago and didn't really care for it. If you're stuck at having to offer an entry line at 80-100 you could possibly still get their vintage line offer that as 2 year warranty carbon as lifetime and ceramic as premium :twocents

I wanted to use Johnson's for their name, to attract costumers only.

12 hours ago, DynamicAppearance said:

Personally I wouldn't trust a company that has a film with a 5 year warranty, but only lasts 2 years.  If that line of film is over exaggerated than most likely the rest of the film is also.

That's what i was thinking, i found out yesterday they had many films that weren't on their site so they eliminated all and started offering SENTRY for the same price people were getting their cheaper films, thats why they ran out.

11 hours ago, Stewy said:

That sucks bro. Its hard to find tint that is within a good price rage for what your market offers. 

I know that's why I'm stuck on offering cheap carbon over this great carbon, i want to try carbonfx but idk how these people will react on the price. Majority of shops here are quantity over quality that's why it's kind of hard to compete.

Got to remember, there are bottom feeders in all areas.  If you compete with other shops that cater to that clientele, then that is all you are going to get.  Your goal is not to have that clientele, but find the ones that are willing to pay more.  I have seen several shops in LA putting out $400+ jobs a lot, but that is because they carry a film that warrants that price along with giving the customer the impression their installation quality is better.  IMO I would start offering a higher end quality film for a higher price...I would add a Ceramic or a higher quality Carbon with a Ceramic.  Once you can start bringing in the clientele that wants to pay more for quality, then you can start to ease off the cheap people.  I know it seems hard or impossible, but the reason you guys are having so many cheap people is because all of your shops are offering cheap options.  Only you can change that.

1 hour ago, DynamicAppearance said:

Got to remember, there are bottom feeders in all areas.  If you compete with other shops that cater to that clientele, then that is all you are going to get.  Your goal is not to have that clientele, but find the ones that are willing to pay more.  I have seen several shops in LA putting out $400+ jobs a lot, but that is because they carry a film that warrants that price along with giving the customer the impression their installation quality is better.  IMO I would start offering a higher end quality film for a higher price...I would add a Ceramic or a higher quality Carbon with a Ceramic.  Once you can start bringing in the clientele that wants to pay more for quality, then you can start to ease off the cheap people.  I know it seems hard or impossible, but the reason you guys are having so many cheap people is because all of your shops are offering cheap options.  Only you can change that.

Yes, these dudes have little to no experience. I mean for them experience is taking out tints in less than a hour not really caring how it comes out. To me it's quality over quality because i really really hate doing warranties lol l guess I'll be willing to take that risk :lol6

Archived