To Wet The Glass or Not Wet The Glass

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well.

My question is about Top Edge Contamination and how to effectively minimize it. I am sure this has been answered a thousand times before but here it goes...

Here is how I clean my roll ups. 

1. Wet window, razor blade entire window, than squeegee, (Cleaning Solution is filtered water and alcohol)

2. Wet Window, Use white scrubby,

3. Wipe top edge with microfiber cloth,

3. Do side and bottom gaskets with microfiber cloth wrapped around a conquistador or easy reach.

4. Squeegee entire window and flush side and bottom gaskets

5. Wet entire window for install. (Slip Is J&J, alcohol, filtered water)

I might do this entire process a few times depending on the year of the vehicle and what it is being used. 

So my problem is that I keep getting top edge contamination. not a whole lot but enough that it bugs the shit out of me. So my answer to this was NOT to wet my window before final install and use an extra soapy slip just on the adhesive side of the tint. Am I on to something? 

4 hours ago, Aesop_Rock said:

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well.

My question is about Top Edge Contamination and how to effectively minimize it. I am sure this has been answered a thousand times before but here it goes...

Here is how I clean my roll ups. 

1. Wet window, razor blade entire window, than squeegee, (Cleaning Solution is filtered water and alcohol)

2. Wet Window, Use white scrubby,

3. Wipe top edge with microfiber cloth,

3. Do side and bottom gaskets with microfiber cloth wrapped around a conquistador or easy reach.

4. Squeegee entire window and flush side and bottom gaskets

5. Wet entire window for install. (Slip Is J&J, alcohol, filtered water)

I might do this entire process a few times depending on the year of the vehicle and what it is being used. 

So my problem is that I keep getting top edge contamination. not a whole lot but enough that it bugs the shit out of me. So my answer to this was NOT to wet my window before final install and use an extra soapy slip just on the adhesive side of the tint. Am I on to something? 

Where do you remove your liner? On the vehicle glass or a peel board?

If you remove the liner on the vehicle. Squeegee the top part of glass outside but don't overlap the edge cuz it can transfer to the inside of glass. Here is my step

1. Clean the inside. Wipe top edge with blue towel. Use ez reach to push dirt on sides and bottom. 

2. Spray window to squeegee then drench sides and bottom. 

3. Very close spray on top edge to try to push as much dirt to the outside. Spray rest of window for install.

4. Spray outside window without spraying top edge. Squeegee as close to edge as possible making sure I do not overlap or spray top edge. So that nothing goes inside.

5. Install.

You will get as many techniques as tinters. Everyone has a way that works for them. I say ditch the white scub pads. I don't like the fibers they leave behind. If you use a micro fibers make sure you change to a clean one often. They are meant to hold dirt in them and it will come out when they get dirty enough.I use 2 to 3 clean ones per car. I know some will give me crap for this one, but it works for me. I went back to using a scotts paper towel in a easy reach to clean the side gaskets and top edge after my final squeegee. I quit doing it for years, and just started again and noticed my installs being cleaner.Try every style and find what works best for you.I have been doing this a lot of years and still love to try different techniques. 

23 minutes ago, Jake said:

You will get as many techniques as tinters. Everyone had a way that works for them. I say ditch the white scub pads. I don't like the fibers they leave behind. If you use a micro fibers make sure you change to a clean one often. They are meant to hold dirt in them and it will come out when they get dirty enough.I use 2 to 3 clean ones per car. I know some with give me crap for this one but it works for me. I went back to using a scotts paper towel in a easy reach to clean the side gaskets and top edge after my final squeegee. I quit doing it for years, and just started again and noticed my installs being cleaner.Try every style and find what works best for you.I have been doing this a lot of years and still love to try different techniques. 

Do you use the Scott's blue towels or white??? Great answer you use tint slime or j and Johnson's 

Archived