Should i buy this used plotter? Sign warehouse Q100

Tinting 15 yrs, never used a plotter, going into business full time in May and would like to have one. Customer mentioned he had a plotter that he bought for his wife to start a sign business a few years ago. She ended up going to work at the bank or something. Plotter has been setting in his basement. He bought it used as well and doesn't know much about it, said he saw it work before he bought it. I went and looked at it and it's a 48" Q100 which i'm told was made for sign warehouse by Graphtech. Guy wants a $1000 for it.  I called TintTek to see if it would work with their software and they say it should. Just wondering what i should be looking out for. Its going to need blades at the very least to work for tint and a good cleaning. Anything else i should be looking at or considering? 

plotters rarely fail,

If you want to be sure, see if you can load a software/drivers onto a laptop(the company that offers you a window tint and ppf software will be able to set you up),  Try contacting brett from film vinyl designs, i think there software will work with almost any plotter.

plug it in and press cut. I'm pretty certain you will be fine for 1000 you can pay off that machine with one nice ppf job, our 3 window tint jobs.

1 hour ago, blackoutauto said:

plotters rarely fail,

If you want to be sure, see if you can load a software/drivers onto a laptop(the company that offers you a window tint and ppf software will be able to set you up),  Try contacting brett from film vinyl designs, i think there software will work with almost any plotter.

plug it in and press cut. I'm pretty certain you will be fine for 1000 you can pay off that machine with one nice ppf job, our 3 window tint jobs.

Thanks, I will look into Vinyl Designs. I know anything purchased (used) is a gamble, i just don't know squat about plotters, lol... I figured it would probably work ok. 

yea, i think the easiest way is to get film vinyl designs to set up the drivers and software, once u get to the plotter plug it all in and connect the laptop to the internet,

They will remote access your laptop, set everything up from there end and press cut for you. It will be easy because you can chat with them when you do it.

Just ask for the sellers patience.

I called TintTek to see if it would work with their software and they say it should

It does work because I have two locations in both locations are use Tinttekwith the Q 100 plotter. Both work great and have never had an issue with them since owning them . One was a well used plotter that I also got for $1000 and ironically enough I got it originally as a spare and I end up using it more than the one I bought new.

Don't forget to look into consumables like blades and the teflon strip that goes across the area where the plotter does its work.

Order appropriate spares well before you need them.

No point getting angry at a machine that can't do its job for you with dull or worn out parts.

Well I made the purchase, it is filthy dirty, been setting in a dusty basement, otherwise seems ok. Where do I start? I didn't get a manual or anything, I feel like I should take it apart and clean every inch of it but I don't know where to begin there either, lol... Where can I get blades and maintenance items from? Thanks guys, I would like to get it up and running, I expect I will have the parking lot full on May 1st when I officially open and it would be AWESOME to not have to hand cut everything for a change lol...

20170330_160802.jpg

20170330_162819.jpg

20170330_164609.jpg

20170330_164643.jpg

Great plotter, use one everyday. Sign warehouse for cut strips and you can buy blades and blade holders on eBay from China and they work great and last long. Super cheap. New cut strip and blade together every time no short cuts.

Archived