How did you get your start?

37 minutes ago, Aesop_Rock said:

Just curious how everyone got started in tint.

Who got trained at an established shop?  Who got interested in tinting and trained themselves

and opened their own shop?

Just curious...

My friend was tinting for best buy and he told me that it was really hard. I'm a competitive person so I tried it and installed a roll down pretty good. But to me it sucked. He showed me while they were on a verge to opening an electronic shop. I told them that I will get really good at tinting and my other friend told me to do it. 20 cars tinted off of youtube videos and I was still not satisfied. So I went to training with @flat rock stan facility, found him on this site about 10 months ago. After training with him, 2 weeks later we took off. We landed 5 delearship accounts within those 2 weeks and now we are getting booked almost every week with walk ins and call ins. We probably have to hire soon. I dont think people understand how much help I am giving them when I recommend Stans training. But, like I always say, this site and Stan has changed my life. It's up to the individuals who ask for help to grasp my knowledge and experience or not. Keep in mind that all of this is done in under a year, we are about to to do PPF in 2 weeks period. Stan taught me that. NEVER STOP LEARNING. He is pretty *cough* old *cough* but he is still learning new things. 

Edited by Stewy

I was walking down the street 16 yrs ago and heard someone go - pssst buddy... wanna learn to tint?!?!?!?

And it's like 'The Family'... once you are in, you're in for life. :gasp

Actually... I was doing IT work... that job ended and I couldn't find anything else... needed work so my friend got me into the place he worked. Trained by my friend and others there.... Did that for a couple years then went out on my own. 

Much happier tinting then doing IT crap. 

Microsoft is like the 3M of the IT world... :shoot4

Edited by Roach

3 minutes ago, Roach said:

I was walking down the street 16 yrs ago and heard someone go - pssst buddy... wanna learn to tint?!?!?!?

And it's like 'The Family'... once you are in, you're in for life. :gasp

Actually... I was doing IT work... that job ended and I couldn't find anything else... needed work so my friend got me into the place he worked. Trained by my friend and others there.... Did that for a couple years then went out on my own. 

Much happier tinting then doing IT crap. 

Microsoft is like the 3M of the IT world... :shoot4

I was going to school for Black Belt Six Sigma and IT. During my youtube tinting days. Dropped out to go to Stans. :lol

My best friend and I (now my business partner) tinted our personal vehicles in Highschool around the age of 16. All of our friends wanted us to tint their vehicles so we got the hang of things.. Posted ads online (Craig's list) haha, started getting customers and staying pretty busy. Note we were 16 when we began and 22 now, and thought why not take it to the next level. During those times we were mobile.   In 2014 we flew to Cali and got further training at RightLook. Today we are still business partners and have a big shop that opened about 9 months ago and doing great!

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's journey!!

I was a waiter/bartender. Got job cuz I was around after hours at a mechanic shop drinking beer and working on ma car  ,owner of tint shop next door talked me into it. Should've kept up with flat glass side of it :facepalm  :money

23 minutes ago, Stewy said:

My friend was tinting for best buy and he told me that it was really hard. I'm a competitive person so I tried it and installed a roll down pretty good. But to me it sucked. He showed me while they were on a verge to opening an electronic shop. I told them that I will get really good at tinting and my other friend told me to do it. 20 cars tinted off of youtube videos and I was still not satisfied. So I went to training with @flat rock stan facility, found him on this site about 10 months ago. After training with him, 2 weeks later we took off. We landed 5 delearship accounts within those 2 weeks and now we are getting booked almost every week with walk ins and call ins. We probably have to hire soon. I dont think people understand how much help I am giving them when I recommend Stans training. But, like I always say, this site and Stan has changed my life. It's up to the individuals who ask for help to grasp my knowledge and experience or not. Keep in mind that all of this is done in under a year, we are about to to do PPF in 2 weeks period. Stan taught me that. NEVER STOP LEARNING. He is pretty *cough* old *cough* but he is still learning new things. 

Wow. All that under a year. That is crazy.