How did you get your start?

long story short. we are a full line accessory shop. 13 years ago, i realized some people would goto another shop that offered everything under one roof, rather then to bring us a truck to lift it, then to a wheel shop, then to a tint shop. i asked one of our distributors the fastest way to get set up for tinting, and i got trained by digi cut in tulsa for trucks. then the dealerships wanted me to do cars, back to training for that. bought their pre cuts kits for 3 years, but got tired of the shrunk back glasses being done to something that crosses with it and not laying how i liked. trained myself to shrink, and started buying bulk for back glasses. then got tired of inventory of these kits. hand cut for awhile then broke down and bought a graphtec fc8000. oh and hunter road force 9700 and 575 tire changer machines, and vortex sprayer liner. we also do auto glass, cm flat beds and tommmy lift gates. never imagined we would be where we are today. definitely a blessing.

I have always been into cars. I took my car into get tinted and hit it off with they guy. Told him I wanted to work on cars. Started working with him 2 weeks later. About a year went by,and myself and the other tinter took over the shop after the owner wanted to move on. That was 17 or so years ago. 

I didn't mean to get into tinting I used to clean door panels and windows after they were done tinting.... Shortly after that I started on removing panels for them....Then I started removing stickers and razoring the windows then started doing quarter windows....The owner gave me a few rolls of solar guard hp...Got into a fight few weeks later quit and told my family GF... Friends anyone that would let me practice on there car and the rest is history.....Tried quiting tinting once failed miserably...

IMG_20170316_124309.jpg

did landscaping for 13 years. owned a company for 7 years. loved it at first and then started to hate it. my best friend and co worker moved away to look after an exotic car rental place.

turns out it was a tint shop.

they trained him up and after 8 months he let me crash on his couch for 6 months and trained me on tinting. i wish i could have picked up this skill 10 years ago when i was younger. 

him gettting me "in" has changed my life. now im learning to wrap cars and soon ill be getting into ppf. i work at a stlying center so the moon is the limit to what i can learn. i mean i just picked up headlight restoration. i really like doing  it aswell for the  before and after and the customers are always extremely stoked.

I have had 3 jobs in my life. the first one was a janitor for 6 months and the second one was working at a meat plant loading semi trucks for less then a year.

My best friends dad was a manager at a 3M window film dealer and had asked me if I would be interested in tinting autos and flat glass, I thought about and I was like hell yea sounds good to me getting paid to tint windows.

Now that was over 30 years ago, I am on my 3rd owner of the company I work for now.

10 more years and I am DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Aesop_Rock

Thanks for sharing your experience and how did you enter into this industry. I Beleive that if you have got good designing skills then you can make your living great by earning handsome money and competing for with other people working in window tinting and vehicle graphics and wrapping industry. This vehicle graphic industry is expanding quickly and now more people are interested to use custom vehicle graphics on their cars/trucks, etc and promote their business. This is an affordable method of marketing. 

cheers man and keep making good bucks with your brother! Best of luck future billionaire! 

early 80's construction dies and a friend had a tint shop and I asked to help .he said yes and started slapping paper on cars , not very good. but a bunch of practice I think I have it down now....been a good career ! strictly mobile service so I can make my own hours and spend time on more important things....