I've never seen this before

Hey guys and gals.  I've been a long time lurker here and haven't posted in a long time.  I've finally got a problem that has me stumped.  I tinted a 2006 mustang gt a couple days ago.  Probably done atleast 300 of these over the years and never have had a problem till now.  Just a normal tint job all over with a brow on the windshield.   No excessive water use, just like all the others.  I go to crank it when I was done and it's running awful and throwing about every possible code there is.  So, I tell the customer and we let it dry over night and it's the same the next day.  I waited 2 additional days just to be sure everything is dry and no change.  Took it to the best mechanic around today and he says it's going to need a new $600 dollar ecm.  You guys ever run into this?  Any tips?

Yup with auto electronics work but not with tinting.  It might not be your fault. The glare strip doesn't require much water for cleaning and install ask if you can see the ecm, and around its area, and look if it has any signs of getting wet. 

There are other possibilities but it is unlikely your fault. It just sucks cuz it happened while it was in your possession. If it was at my shop we would take care of it and just eat it. Our number 1 priority is customer service so that's one of the consequences. 

That sucks! I've done several full windshields on those with zero issues. My homie has a c5 vette that was basically flooding his ecm or bcm along with the fuse box every time there was heavy rain! Dried it out several times w a fan and fixed leak, all is well.

I'd ask for the old ecm,or that the custy should hang onto it. Also check out wiring from battery to under hood fuse box, my girls was green inside! (Supposed to be copper) :lol so many electrical problems were solved when i replaced that wire! Corrosion at battery started and just ran up the wire.

We have seen this in other types of cars also. We of course do everything possible to keep water getting into the dash area. No water, from sprays to even one drop should get into the dash area. We have had luck with roll up all windows and running the vehicle with the heater on full and defrost mode on to blow the hot air through the openings in the top of the dash, heats the entire interior and gets into the dash area as well. It might take several times to get interior as hot as possible and let it cool down and dry out, repeat.

Interiors can take all the heat, but not moisture. Has cured the above condition. 

I would have done that, but it was only running on 4 cylinders.  I put a fan under the dash and let it sit in there over night and also had it baked in a paint booth for 30 min at 170 degrees. Still didn't help.  I checked all connections under the dash and there was no sign of water anywhere.

possible the ecm didn't get wet, but something did get wet to cause it to short out? i have had two issues with strips, both fords. first was when the new 6.7 powerstroke came out in 2011. after doing it, would not start for 3 hours. so i started putting bath towels on top of dash. second, was a ford with touchscreen nav. water, not much btw, rolled off towels onto screen... so now i do bed sheet over whole dash with very minimal water