How big is your window edge gap?

I've been tinting on and off for past couple years and always pulled windows out.. well starting to learn to cut windows in place.. and I just don't feel right.. I now I have a 1/8 gap on window instead of filed like I used to and I just feel like quality is worse now.. I just can't spend the time pulling glass any more.. know it's kinda stupid to rant on here but it's just leaving me at unease 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been tinting for 25 years and never pulled a window to tint it. You can micro edge or file with it in place. 1/8 " is about as wide as you can go before it's unacceptable. 1/16 is norm for a pattern cut by a plotter. That's my take on it. See what these guys say. Pop door panels for a more consistent clean job

I like little gaps and I can not lie

all you other tinters can't deny 

With a big old gap

and a day light space and a 1/8 inch in your face

You get shunned !

cause you know that's wrong... 

While other tinters file on..  

Im sure Sir Mix-A-Lot could finish the lyrics..  I'm not that good..  Lol

All the ones I did the corners would be over hanging before I could get a  get a tight gap in the middle of window.. what am I doing wrong? I want to be able to file the window preferably but obviously not over hang tint where the corners of windows go down etc

5 hours ago, Joetint said:

I've been tinting on and off for past couple years and always pulled windows out.. well starting to learn to cut windows in place.. and I just don't feel right.. I now I have a 1/8 gap on window instead of filed like I used to and I just feel like quality is worse now.. I just can't spend the time pulling glass any more.. know it's kinda stupid to rant on here but it's just leaving me at unease 

1/8 is completely fine. If you want it to look factory or if the pattern is tight in some area and won't line up properly, have your tint line up over the edge about 1/8, heat the window on the outside so tint will stay, and file along the bevel of the window for a factory look. 

You can also run an Olfa knife along the edge instead of a file to get a tighter cleaner factory look. That is a skill you charge extra for though. 

Tons of videos on YouTube to help you.

Archived